Prevents seizures and stabilizes mood.
Our bottom line
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is most useful for treating severe seizure disorders, and for bipolar disorder with more depression symptoms than manic symptoms. Just be careful to increase your dose slowly to avoid skin rash.
- (30) 100mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 100mg tablets of Lamictal (Lamotrigine) at pharmacies
- $24.61New price:$9.35Save:62%
- Kroger Pharmacy$24.85New price:$11.93Save:52%
- Kmart$180.86New price:$12.66Save:93%
- $74.53New price:$12.67Save:83%
- Effective at lowering the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome. Typically used together with other medications for severe seizure disorders.
- Works best for partial, tonic-clonic, and absence seizures.
- A first-line treatment for bipolar disorder. Effective long-term treatment for stabilizing mood. Prevents both depressive and manic episodes, but the effect is greater for preventing depression.
- Doesn't require routine blood tests.
- Can cause double vision, dizziness, sleepiness, and headache.
- Has the risk of a rare but life-threatening rash.
- Can make hormonal birth control less effective.
- Might be less effective than other medicines for treating manic episodes (acute mania) in people with bipolar disorder.
What to expect when you take Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for SeizuresSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Lamictal (Lamotrigine)
- Double vision
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Blurred vision
- Inflammation inside the nose
- Sore throat
Risks and Warnings for Lamictal (Lamotrigine)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of depression
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Watch for worsening depression or any unusual changes in mood or behavior, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately.
Common concerns from people taking Lamictal (Lamotrigine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Take it around the same time every day. I have to take mine in the morning and at night. Also taking it with food helps curb nausea & any possible drowsiness.
- Need to monitor for liver toxicity
- Lamictal saved my life. However some of the side effects are annoying such as neck pain,problems with co-ordination, ( have had a few very bad falls) judging distances ( parking is a nightmare) and some minor.skin problems. Overall the side effects are worth it to me. My moods are very stable. Very rarely depressed or hypomanic. Life is good.
- supresses libido at 75 mg
- It's not known for weight gain, but coincidentally I have gained weight since taking. I'm not certain if it is due to Lamictal
- Played a significant role in my 20-30pound weight gain, though it doesn't bother me in the least. I would much rather keep my mental health over my looks any day.