Prevents seizures and stabilizes mood.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is most useful for treating severe seizure disorders, and for bipolar disorder with more depression symptoms than manic symptoms. Just be careful to increase your dose slowly to avoid skin rash.
- Effective at lowering the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome. Typically used together with other medications for severe seizure disorders.
- Works best for partial, tonic-clonic, and absence seizures.
- A first-line treatment for bipolar disorder. Effective long-term treatment for stabilizing mood. Prevents both depressive and manic episodes, but the effect is greater for preventing depression.
- Doesn't require routine blood tests.
- Can cause double vision, dizziness, sleepiness, and headache.
- Has the risk of a rare but life-threatening rash.
- Can make hormonal birth control less effective.
- Might be less effective than other medicines for treating manic episodes (acute mania) in people with bipolar disorder.
Save on your next Lamictal (Lamotrigine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Cost of (30) 100mg tablets of Lamictal (Lamotrigine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$9.03New price:$0.72Save92%
- Kmart$8.75New price:$0.44Save95%
- $13.00New price:$4.55Save65%
Side effects for Lamictal (Lamotrigine)
From clinical trials of Lamictal / Adjunctive therapy for epilepsy ( 1130)
- DizzinessDizziness38% for Lamictal vs.13% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache28% for Lamictal vs.19% for placebo
- Double visionDouble vision28% for Lamictal vs.7% for placebo
- Lack of muscle coordinationLack of muscle coordination22% for Lamictal vs.6% for placebo
- NauseaNausea19% for Lamictal vs.10% for placebo
- Blurred visionBlurred vision16% for Lamictal vs.5% for placebo
- Inflammation inside the noseInflammation inside the nose14% for Lamictal vs.9% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness14% for Lamictal vs.7% for placebo
- RashRash10% for Lamictal vs.5% for placebo
- Sore throatSore throat10% for Lamictal vs.9% for placebo
What to expect when you start Lamictal (Lamotrigine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Follow dose adjustments set by your doctor to minimize skin rash.
- Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Report rash, blurry vision, fever, persistent headache, or neck stiffness to your doctor.
- Makes hormonal birth control less effective.
- Takes 4 to 6 weeks to feel full effects on mood.
Risks and Warnings for Lamictal (Lamotrigine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of depression
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Watch for worsening depression or any unusual changes in mood or behavior, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Lamictal (Lamotrigine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Take it around the same time every day. I have to take mine in the morning and at night. Also taking it with food helps curb nausea & any possible drowsiness.Age: 37Gender: womanTaken for: SeizuresDuration taken: two years or more
- supresses libido at 75 mgAge: 33Gender: womanTaken for: Bipolar II disorderDuration taken: a few months
- kills sex driveAge: 21Gender: womanTaken for: Bipolar I disorder (manic)
- Weirdest/best side effect from any medicine goes to Lamictal - for the first couple weeks I had really intense and vivid movie-like dreams. It gives me horrible headaches but I take it before bed so I sleep through it.Age: 22Gender: womanTaken for: Mood Disorder NOSDuration taken: two years or more
- Drink the pill each day on the exact time. Take it 2 hours before bedtime to get you calm to get to sleep and avoid taking a sleeping tablet as well.Age: 40Gender: manTaken for: Bipolar I disorder (manic)
- Haven't started taking it. Due to insurance companies refusing to cover Latuda, starting 1/1/2017, I'll need to switch. Liking into Lamictal ... any thoughts would be welcome. I'm afraid of weight gain. Had anyone experienced significant weight gain?Age: 57Gender: womanTaken for: Seizures
- Played a significant role in my 20-30pound weight gain, though it doesn't bother me in the least. I would much rather keep my mental health over my looks any day.Age: 21Gender: womanTaken for: Bipolar I disorder (manic)