Prevents seizures and stabilizes mood.
Our bottom line
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is most useful for treating severe seizure disorders, and for bipolar disorder with more depression symptoms than manic symptoms. Just be careful to increase your dose slowly to avoid skin rash.
- Effective at lowering the frequency of seizures in people with epilepsy or Lennox-Gestaut syndrome. Typically used together with other medications for severe seizure disorders.
- Works best for partial, tonic-clonic, and absence seizures.
- A first-line treatment for bipolar disorder. Effective long-term treatment for stabilizing mood. Prevents both depressive and manic episodes, but the effect is greater for preventing depression.
- Doesn't require routine blood tests.
- Can cause double vision, dizziness, sleepiness, and headache.
- Has the risk of a rare but life-threatening rash.
- Can make hormonal birth control less effective.
- Might be less effective than other medicines for treating manic episodes (acute mania) in people with bipolar disorder.
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is an antiepileptic. Researchers don't know exactly how it works, but it seems to calm nerve activity in the brain.
What to expect when you take Lamictal (lamotrigine) for SeizuresSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Lamictal (lamotrigine)
- Double vision
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Blurred vision
- Inflammation inside the nose
- Sore throat
Risks and Warnings for Lamictal (lamotrigine)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of depression
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Watch for worsening depression or any unusual changes in mood or behavior, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately.
Common concerns from people taking Lamictal (lamotrigine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Has changed my life in evening out my mood- no hypo mania but kind of miss feeling more motivated. Have trouble initiating and have to take a lot of countering supplements to deal with fuzzy brain. Worsening soluble vision is a problem.
- Take with food to avoid upset stomach.
- Take it around the same time every day. I have to take mine in the morning and at night. Also taking it with food helps curb nausea & any possible drowsiness.
- Need to monitor for liver toxicity
- supresses libido at 75 mg
- Played a significant role in my 20-30pound weight gain, though it doesn't bother me in the least. I would much rather keep my mental health over my looks any day.
- It's not known for weight gain, but coincidentally I have gained weight since taking. I'm not certain if it is due to Lamictal