Helps control your thoughts and mood.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Latuda (Lurasidone) is good for treating schizophrenia and depression related to bipolar disorder. It's less likely to cause weight gain, cholesterol, blood sugar, and heart rhythm problems.
- Has been shown in clinical studies to help people felt better and experience improvements with their thoughts and mood.
- It’s a newer type of medication and works differently than traditional antidepressants.
- Can be taken alone or with other medications that manage your mood.
- Compared to other antipsychotics, it has a lower risk of causing weight gain and changes to cholesterol, blood sugar, and heart rhythm.
- Certain antifungal and heart medicines can increase the amount of Latuda (Lurasidone) in your body and put you at risk for more side effects. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about any drug interactions between medicines you’re taking.
- Can cause you to be more sensitive to heat and make it harder for your body to cool off.
- Need to avoid drinking alcohol while taking Latuda (Lurasidone).
- Elderly people who have dementia shouldn't take Latuda (Lurasidone).
Save on your next Latuda (Lurasidone) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 40mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 40mg tablets of Latuda (Lurasidone) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$6375.56New price:$5355.47Save16%
- $8706.25New price:$7661.50Save12%
- $6557.25New price:$5508.09Save16%
- Sams Club
Side effects for Latuda (Lurasidone)
From clinical trials of Latuda / Schizophrenia ( 1459)
- DrowsinessDrowsiness22% for Latuda vs.10% for placebo
- RestlessnessRestlessness15% for Latuda vs.3% for placebo
- NauseaNausea12% for Latuda vs.6% for placebo
- ParkinsonismParkinsonism11% for Latuda vs.5% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect9% for Latuda vs.6% for placebo
- IndigestionIndigestion8% for Latuda vs.6% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting8% for Latuda vs.6% for placebo
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty8% for Latuda vs.7% for placebo
- AnxietyAnxiety6% for Latuda vs.3% for placebo
- AgitationAgitation6% for Latuda vs.3% for placebo
What to expect when you take Latuda (Lurasidone)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take it once a day at the same time each day. It works faster when you take it with a small snack (at least 350 calories).
- Don’t eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while taking Latuda (Lurasidone). It can negatively affect how Latuda (Lurasidone) works.
- Can cause dizziness and nausea, so avoid activities that require you to be alert until you get used to it.
- Usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to see the full effects on your thoughts and mood, so hang in there until you find the right dose that works for you.
Risks and Warnings for Latuda (Lurasidone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Elderly patients with dementia
Older patients with dementia-related psychosis have a higher risk of death when treated with antipsychotic medications. Latuda (Lurasidone) is not approved to treat dementia-related psychosis.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Latuda (Lurasidone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Need to avoid drinking alcohol while taking Latuda (Lurasidone).
- Don't take it with alcohol, ever Causes some WILD dreams. Been taking it for a month and gained a few pounds due to excessive eating due to increased depression. Not effective in my case for depression. Causing apathy towards loved onesAge: 21Gender: ManTaken for: Bipolar disorder (depressed phase)
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take it once a day at the same time each day. It works faster when you take it with a small snack (at least 350 calories).
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Latuda (Lurasidone) can increase your blood sugar and cholesterol. However, Latuda (Lurasidone) is the least likely to raise your blood sugar and cholesterol compared to other antipsychotic medications. Exercise and eat healthy food to lower your risk.
- It made me pretty tired so I had to start taking it at night. Taking it with food can be a hassle of you take it late at night. It's really helped with lifting my depression.Age: 22Gender: ManDuration taken: A month or so
- Take with foodAge: 52Gender: WomanTaken for: Bipolar disorder (depressed phase)
- Eating high protein meal with dose helps effectiveness and staves off stomach upset.Age: 39Gender: WomanTaken for: Bipolar disorder (depressed phase)Duration taken: A few months
- More emphasis on the side effects of heart related issues. Since taking Lurasidone, my blood sugar has increased, cholesterol and now I have a leaking heart valve. Muscle stiffness/increased appeitite, can't sit still, can't sleep/etcAge: 56Gender: WomanTaken for: Bipolar disorder (depressed phase)
- Started Latuda a week ago have noticed my mood in the morning is much better I don't feel as angry, the only thing I have noticed they I don't like is I get a bit restless after taking it but I can sleep through this.Age: 42Gender: WomanTaken for: Bipolar disorder (depressed phase)
- It makes you super tired at first, I worked closing shifts so I was taking it around midnight, but I would definitely recommend taking it a couple hours before you go to sleepAge: 19Gender: WomanDuration taken: A few months
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Compared to other antipsychotics, it has a lower risk of causing weight gain and changes to cholesterol, blood sugar, and heart rhythm.
- Weight gain is problem also very thirsty with visiting the bathroom moreAge: 40Gender: ManTaken for: Bipolar disorder (depressed phase)
- I was warned but the restlessness was unbearable. Getting rid of the weight gain side effect of other drugs is nice, but beware of the restlessness.Age: 25Gender: Woman
- It worked So well, I wasn't sure I could live without it. I weaned myself off of it (with doctor's permission) because of weight gain, cholesterol issues, and cost! It is incredibly expensive!!Age: 30Gender: Woman