Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Levaquin (Levofloxacin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as generic. However, it can cause damage to your tendons, and make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule, and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Less resistance seen in bacteria to this antibiotic. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Must be used with caution in people over 60 years of age, or who have had either an organ transplant or on long-term steroid use due to possible tendon rupture.
- Levofloxacin can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Can't be used if you've ever had myasthenia gravis.
- You have to space out any medications with aluminum, magnesium or zinc by at least 2 hours.
- Can cause changes in taste, headaches, and insomnia.
Save on your next Levaquin (Levofloxacin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (10) 500mg tablet
- Cost for (10) 500mg tablets of Levaquin (Levofloxacin) at pharmacies
- $9.51New price:$0.86Save91%
- Kroger Pharmacy$14.33New price:$3.01Save79%
- Sams Club
- $14.70New price:$1.32Save91%
- Publix$17.04New price:$1.70Save90%
Side effects for Levaquin (Levofloxacin)
From clinical trials of Levaquin / Infection ( 7537)
- NauseaNausea7% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache6% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea5% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty4% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness3% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- ConsitpationConsitpation3% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain2% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting2% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- IndigestionIndigestion2% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash2% for Levofloxacin vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- "stomach flu"
- Abnormal dreaming
- Abnormal gait
- Abnormal heart rate
- Abnormal hepatic function
- Abnormal increase in muscle activity
- Abnormal renal function
- Allergic reaction
- Body shaking
- Esophagus inflammation
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- High blood sugar
- Increased alkaline phosphatase
- Increased hepatic enzymes
- Joint pain
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood sugar
- Low mood disorder
- Low red blood cells
- Low white blood cells
- Mouth and lip swelling
- Muscle pain
- Pseudomembranous/c. difficile colitis
- Rapid heartbeat
- Skeletal pain
- Sleep disorder
- Stiff or rigid muscles
- Stopped heart and circulation
- Sudden or temporary kidney injury
- Superficial leg vein clots
- Tingling sensation
- Tongue inflammation
- Upset stomach
- Yeast infection
What to expect when you take Levaquin (Levofloxacin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- If you notice pain in your Achilles tendons, contact your doctor.
- Wear sunscreen if you're going to be out in the sun.
- Take the medication exactly how the doctor tells you to.
- Take this medication with plenty of fluids.
- Space out any medications containing aluminum, magnesium or zinc by at least 2 hours.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
- Can cause changes in taste, headaches and insomnia.
Risks and Warnings for Levaquin (Levofloxacin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Over 60 years of age
- › On long-term steroid use
- › Heart, kidney, or lung transplant
If you notice redness/inflammation, pain or swelling in your joints or muscles, especially in the Achilles tendon, contact your doctor immediately.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Levaquin (Levofloxacin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- I was to be on Levofloxacin for 10 days, but had to stop after day 4 due to the severe side effects. I did not sleep for 3 days, joints were painful, felt very full and loss of appetite, lightheaded, dizzy, and constipated. Do not recommendAge: 33Gender: Woman