Lowers blood sugar.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Levemir is a long-acting insulin that provides all-day sugar control. It can cause low blood sugar, so make sure you know what the symptoms are and always have a source of sugar nearby.
- Insulin is the most effective blood sugar-lowering medicine. When used correctly, it'll lower blood sugar every time you use it and prevent the harmful effects of high sugar levels on your organs and blood vessels.
- Levemir is a long-lasting insulin that provides consistent, all-day sugar control with less risk of low blood sugar.
- Dose can be easily adjusted to make a customized regimen that's tailored to your body.
- Starting insulin early in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes can maintain your body's insulin-producing cells and slow down disease progression.
- Okay to use even if you have liver or kidney problems, unlike most other blood sugar-lowering medicines.
- You have to take insulin by injection.
- You have to check your blood sugar every day.
- Likely to cause moderate weight gain (around 4 to 6 pounds).
- Higher risk of low blood sugar episodes than other kinds of diabetes medicines.
Save on your next Levemir (Insulin Detemir) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 5 flextouch pens of 3ml carton
- Cost for (1) 5 flextouch pens of 3ml carton of Levemir (Insulin Detemir) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy$3239.46New price:$2818.33Save13%
- $1763.29New price:$1340.10Save24%
- Kmart$3547.17New price:$3121.51Save12%
- $2269.37New price:$1838.19Save19%
Side effects for Levemir (Insulin Detemir)
From clinical trials of Levemir / Type 1 diabetes (children and adolescents) ( 232)
- Ear, nose, or throat infectionEar, nose, or throat infection36% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache31% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- Sore throatSore throat17% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- "stomach flu""stomach flu"17% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- Influenza-like illnessInfluenza-like illness14% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain13% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- FeverFever10% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- CoughCough8% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- Viral infectionViral infection7% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea7% for Levemir vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Levemir (Insulin Detemir)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Long-acting insulin good for baseline blood sugar control.
- Works in 1 hour and lasts about 24 hours.
- Can cause weight gain and low blood sugar.
- Make sure you and your family know the symptoms of low blood sugar: sweating, shakiness, weakness, fast heartbeat, nervousness, headache, blurry vision, trouble thinking clearly, or passing out.
- Always have a good source of sugar nearby for low blood sugar episodes.
- Take it at the same time every day.
- Make sure you understand how to give yourself the injections.
- Don't shake the vial or mix with another insulin. Store unopened vials in the refrigerator. Opened vials are good at room temperature for 28 days.
- Check your blood sugar levels every day.
Risks and Warnings for Levemir (Insulin Detemir)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Insulin dose too high
- › Use of other blood sugar lowering medicines
- › Poor injection techniques
- › Unstable kidney functions
- › Unstable liver functions
Very low blood sugar is life-threatening. Understand how your body signals low blood sugar, which may include fast heartbeat, sweating, pale skin, feeling shaky, confusion or irritability. Make sure you have access to easy sugar sources to treat low blood sugar.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Levemir (Insulin Detemir)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Okay to use even if you have liver or kidney problems, unlike most other blood sugar-lowering medicines.
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Likely to cause moderate weight gain (around 4 to 6 pounds).
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause weight gain and low blood sugar.
- Supposed to make you gain less weight than NPH. Had to do 22 units more per day(72 units total), gained 8 lbs, average readings 170 to 190 in am. Absolutely ineffective and worthless. 3X more expensive than NPH.Age: 70Gender: ManTaken for: Type 2 diabetesDuration taken: A month or so