Treats nerve pain.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Lidoderm (Lidocaine) patches work well by releasing a local anesthetic into the skin and relieving pain by targeting damaged nerves.
- Lidoderm (Lidocaine) can treat pain better for people who can't take oral pain medications due to allergies or bad side effects.
- Has been shown to relieve nerve pain due to shingles for up to 12 hours at a time.
- Patches can be cut into smaller pieces to best fit the areas of skin they need to be used on.
- Can cause skin irritation after using it the first time, but for most people it's mild and goes away in a few minutes or hours.
- Used patches contain enough medicine to be dangerous to children and pets, so store and dispose of the patches in a safe place out of their reach.
- Might not be the best choice if you've had allergic reactions to numbing medications (local anesthetics) in the past.
- Even though only small amounts of Lidoderm (Lidocaine) are absorbed into the body through the skin, if you're taking medications that treat arrhythmias, Lidoderm (Lidocaine) can affect how they work.
- Patches shouldn't be left on for more than 12 hours, used on very large areas of skin, or covered with a heating pad.
Save on your next Lidoderm (Lidocaine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 100ml of 2% bottle of topical solution
- Cost for (1) 100ml of 2% bottle of topical solution of Lidoderm (Lidocaine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$15.42New price:$4.01Save:74%
- $30.46New price:$8.53Save:72%
- $13.66New price:$9.70Save:29%
Side effects for Lidoderm (Lidocaine)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormal sensation
- Abnormally slow heartbeat
- Blurred vision
- Burning sensation
- Cardiovascular collapse
- Cns excitation
- Deep skin swelling
- Life-threatening lack of blood flow
- Low blood pressure
- Low mood disorder
- Metallic taste
- Muscle weakness
- Pain exacerbated
- Ringing in the ears
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling due to excess fluid
- Taste alteration
- Tingling sensation
What to expect when you take Lidoderm (Lidocaine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Starts working with the first dose, but full effects can take longer.
- Remove the protective lining on the patch before applying the patch to unbroken skin.
- Leave the patch on for up to 12 hours during a 24 hour period.
- You can cut the patches to create a custom fit for the area of skin you need to apply it to.
- Don't place any tight wraps or heating pads over the patch while it's on.
- Make sure not to touch your eyes after touching the patch. Always wash your hands after putting it on or taking it off.
Risks and Warnings for Lidoderm (Lidocaine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Use of heating pad on skin
- › Applying patch to red, irritated or broken skin
- › Leaving patch on for more than 12 hours
- › Using patch on a very large area
- › Older age and lower body weight
- › Liver disease
Lidoderm (Lidocaine) can build up in the body if too much is absorbed or if the drug can't be removed correctly. Symptoms include irregular heartbeat, slowed breathing, seizures and if serious can lead to death. Do not leave Lidoderm (Lidocaine) on skin longer than 12 hours, use on very large areas, or cover with a tight wrap or heating pad, all can increase the total amount of medication in the body and cause an overdose. Older more frail patients might be more sensitive. Lidoderm (Lidocaine) is removed from the body by the liver so if you have liver disease talk to your doctor about possible changes in your dose.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Lidoderm (Lidocaine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- This is one of the best medication/patches for pain related to nerve pain and bursitis. I would not be able to sleep without it. Primary use is on hips.Age: 52Gender: WomanTaken for: Local anesthesia (topical)