Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Zestril (Lisinopril) is a good blood pressure-lowering medicine that protects kidney function.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Recommended for anyone with heart failure since it lowers the risk of death and further damage to your heart.
- Up to 1 in 10 people can get a dry cough with this medicine. It ranges from a mild tickle in the throat to a persistent hacking cough.
- Requires a yearly blood test to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
Save on your next Zestril (Lisinopril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 20mg tablets of Zestril (Lisinopril) at pharmacies
- $193.33New price:$187.53Save3%
- Kroger Pharmacy
- Sams Club
- $15.76New price:$7.72Save51%
Side effects for Zestril (Lisinopril)
From clinical trials of Lisinopril / High blood pressure ( 1556)
- HeadacheHeadache6% for Lisinopril vs.2% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness5% for Lisinopril vs.2% for placebo
- CoughCough4% for Lisinopril vs.1% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea3% for Lisinopril vs.2% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue3% for Lisinopril vs.1% for placebo
- InfectionInfection2% for Lisinopril vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea2% for Lisinopril vs.2% for placebo
- Low blood pressureLow blood pressure1% for Lisinopril vs.0% for placebo
- ImpotenceImpotence1% for Lisinopril vs.0% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness1% for Lisinopril vs.1% for placebo
What to expect when you take Zestril (Lisinopril) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Tell your doctor about any dizziness, fatigue, cough, or throat irritation that doesn't go away.
- Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- Don't take it if you're pregnant.
Risks and Warnings for Zestril (Lisinopril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Zestril (Lisinopril) can cause birth defects or death to a fetus. If you are pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Zestril (Lisinopril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Protects kidney function, which is especially useful for people with diabetes or mild-to-moderate kidney disease.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Requires routine blood tests to check kidney function.
- It will make you sleepy!I took a very low dose, 2.5 mg., to protect my kidney function from lupus. I had to get off it due to a life-threatening, but comical, allergic reaction: angio-edema causing facial swelling.Age: 47Gender: WomanTaken for: High blood pressure