Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate.
Our bottom line
Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate) is good for controlling chest pain and treating heart failure and heart attack. You have to take it with food, and you can't miss doses.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina). Makes pain attacks less frequent and makes it easier to be active without having chest pain.
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure. May prevent long-term heart damage.
- A first-choice treatment for heart attack. Lowers the risk of death during and after a heart attack.
- Metoprolol tartrate is the immediate release version of Toprol XL. You have to take Metoprolol tartrate with food for it to work best. (On the other hand, you can take Toprol XL any time.)
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Metoprolol tartrate suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
What to expect when you take Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate)
- Low mood disorder
- Shortness of breath
- Abnormally slow heartbeat
Risks and Warnings for Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Diabetes
Patients on Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate) who are also diabetic may not recognize symptoms of low blood sugar, except for sweating and dizziness. Talk to your doctor about when to monitor your blood sugar if you are started on Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate).
Common concerns from people taking Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take it with food.
- Schedule dosage at well before activity. Will sometimes cause drowsiness within an hour for about a half an hour