Lowers blood pressure.
Our bottom line
Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) is good because it combines two first-line medications to lower blood pressure, and it's available in generic. However, it can cause throat irritation or a dry cough, and you can't stop it suddenly since it can cause your blood pressure to rise.
- (30) 5mg/20mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 5mg/20mg capsules of Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$45.06New price:$16.22Save:64%
- $78.00New price:$18.72Save:76%
- $75.54New price:$29.46Save:61%
- $77.53New price:$36.44Save:53%
- Rite-Aid$85.31New price:$41.80Save:51%
- Both medications in Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) are recommended as first line medications to help lower blood pressure.
- The combination of these two medications work together to lower your blood pressure better than either by itself.
- This combines two medications into one pill, so it reduces the amount of pills you have to take every day.
- Available as a generic version, so it shouldn't be too expensive.
- Can't be stopped suddenly because it can cause your blood pressure to bounce back very high.
- Because it comes in fixed doses, it's hard to switch dosages if one medication isn't working as well as the other.
- If you're pregnant or want to be pregnant, you'll have to be changed to another medication since Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) can cause birth defects.
- In some people, benazepril, the ACE inhibitor, can cause throat irritation or a dry cough, and you can switch to another medication if it bothers you.
- This is usually not given until you've tried at least one medication to lower your blood pressure and it hasn't worked.
Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) contains two medications that lower blood pressure. Amlodipine (a calcium channel blocker) causes your blood vessels to relax, and benazepril (an ACE inhibitor) blocks a chemical that tightens up your blood vessels. Your blood vessels being more relaxed causes your blood pressure to go down.
Side effect rates for Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril)
- Any side effect
- Swelling due to excess fluid
Risks and Warnings for Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) can cause birth defects. If you're pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.