Lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) is good because it combines two first-line medications to lower blood pressure, and it's available in generic. However, it can cause throat irritation or a dry cough, and you can't stop it suddenly since it can cause your blood pressure to rise.
- Both medications in Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) are recommended as first line medications to help lower blood pressure.
- The combination of these two medications work together to lower your blood pressure better than either by itself.
- This combines two medications into one pill, so it reduces the amount of pills you have to take every day.
- Available as a generic version, so it shouldn't be too expensive.
- Can't be stopped suddenly because it can cause your blood pressure to bounce back very high.
- Because it comes in fixed doses, it's hard to switch dosages if one medication isn't working as well as the other.
- If you're pregnant or want to be pregnant, you'll have to be changed to another medication since Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) can cause birth defects.
- In some people, benazepril, the ACE inhibitor, can cause throat irritation or a dry cough, and you can switch to another medication if it bothers you.
- This is usually not given until you've tried at least one medication to lower your blood pressure and it hasn't worked.
Save on your next Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Cost of (30) 5mg/20mg capsules of Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- $20.87New price:$4.59Save78%
Side effects for Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril)
From clinical trials of Lotrel / High blood pressure ( 1170)
- Any side effectAny side effect4% for Lotrel vs.3% for placebo
- CoughCough3% for Lotrel vs.0% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache2% for Lotrel vs.6% for placebo
- Swelling due to excess fluidSwelling due to excess fluid2% for Lotrel vs.2% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness1% for Lotrel vs.2% for placebo
What to expect when you start Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can make you feel dizzy the first days you take it, so be careful getting up from lying down or sitting, and be careful driving.
- Drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated to lower your risk of dizziness and falls.
- Let your doctor know if you're using salt substitutes with potassium or medications with potassium.
- Talk to your doctor if you want to stop taking Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril), since stopping it suddenly can cause your blood pressure to rise very quickly.
- If you're pregnant or wanting to get pregnant, let your doctor know, since they will have to change Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) to another medication.
Risks and Warnings for Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) can cause birth defects. If you're pregnant or considering having a baby, talk to your doctor about alternative medicines.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) has a risk of making your kidneys not work as well. It's important to get blood work done to check your kidney function before starting Lotrel (Amlodipine / Benazepril) and at least yearly after.