Treats nerve pain and prevents seizures.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Lyrica (Pregabalin) works well as an add-on medicine for seizures and fibromyalgia, but it's especially effective for nerve-related pain after shingles. Not available as a generic, so it might be expensive.
- Relieves nerve-related (neuropathic) pain caused by different conditions including diabetes, shingles (herpes zoster), fibromyalgia, and spinal cord damage.
- Studies show that lower doses of Lyrica (Pregabalin) cause fewer side effects and still relieve pain just as well as higher doses.
- Also used in combination with other medications to treat epilepsy (partial seizures).
- Not available as a generic, so it can be pricey.
- You can't skip or miss doses since suddenly stopping Lyrica (Pregabalin) can cause seizures.
- Lyrica (Pregabalin) is likely to cause some side effects, including memory problems, drowsiness, dizziness, and confusion.
- Has a higher risk than other pain medicines of affecting your heart rate or rhythm, so it might not be the best choice if you have cardiovascular disease (previous heart attack, stroke, fast/uncontrolled heart rate, or irregular heartbeat).
Save on your next Lyrica (Pregabalin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Prices for (60) 75mg capsules of Lyrica (Pregabalin)
- Kroger Pharmacy
Side effects for Lyrica (Pregabalin)
From clinical trials of Lyrica / Fibromyalgia (150 mg daily) ( 637)
- DizzinessDizziness23% for Lyrica vs.9% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness13% for Lyrica vs.4% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache11% for Lyrica vs.12% for placebo
- Weight increasedWeight increased8% for Lyrica vs.2% for placebo
- Vision blurredVision blurred8% for Lyrica vs.1% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth7% for Lyrica vs.2% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue5% for Lyrica vs.4% for placebo
- Ankle and leg swellingAnkle and leg swelling5% for Lyrica vs.2% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation4% for Lyrica vs.2% for placebo
- Sinus inflammationSinus inflammation4% for Lyrica vs.4% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Confusional state
What to expect when you start Lyrica (Pregabalin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Some people feel relief from pain in a week.
- Can make you drowsy or dizzy.
- Don't stop taking it suddenly without talking to your doctor. You'll need to slowly lower your dose over at least a week to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
- Tell your doctor if you have unexplained confusion or changes in your thoughts or behavior.
- It's not safe to take this medication with alcohol or other drugs that make you drowsy.
Risks and Warnings for Lyrica (Pregabalin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Lyrica (Pregabalin) is only approved for use in adults. It can increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Report new or worsening depression or unusual changes in mood or behavior to your doctor right away, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Lyrica (Pregabalin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › It's not safe to take this medication with alcohol or other drugs that make you drowsy.
- It enhances the effects of other drugs, so avoid alcohol at all costs. Causes sleepiness so take it at night. Taking it for Generalised Anxiety Disorder, and I can't say it has helped greatly.Age: 41Gender: womanTaken for: AnxietyDuration taken: a year or so
- Start slowly and work your way up. Even experiment taking it with or without food to get rid of the initial side effects.Age: 45Gender: womanTaken for: Nerve pain from diabetes
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Some people taking Lyrica (Pregabalin) develop muscle damage leading to kidney failure (rhabdomyolysis), however, this is very rare. Tell your doctor if you develop sudden muscle pain, weakness or fever and there is no other related cause.
- Take it at night, it will help you sleep better without the painAnonymousTaken for: Nerve pain from spinal cord injuryDuration taken: a year or so
- This stuff is notorious for making people gain weight!! I was on it for about 4 months and it made me gain more than 30lbs....Age: 44Gender: manTaken for: Nerve pain from spinal cord injury
- Great if you're thin, but if on the heavy side ask for something different as this medication will put weight on you, don't stop it suddenly as the withdrawals are horrendous, go to your gp or neurologist to set out a plan to be weaned offAge: 45Gender: womanTaken for: Nerve pain from spinal cord injury
- Urinary retention and major weight gain!Age: 32Gender: womanTaken for: FibromyalgiaDuration taken: a couple weeks