Treats migraine headaches.
Our bottom line
Maxalt (Rizatriptan) is great for relieving short migraines, but doesn't work as well for long-lasting headaches.
- Triptans like Maxalt (Rizatriptan) are considered the first-choice treatment to relieve moderate to severe migraine-type headaches.
- It can also be used to treat tension-type headaches.
- Not all triptans work the same way for people, so you can try multiple ones to find the right medication for you.
- You don't need to drink water with the orally disintegrating tablet for it to work, so this could be a good medication for people who can't keep water down when they have a migraine.
- Maxalt (Rizatriptan) doesn’t prevent migraines or tension headaches, but only works once the headache starts.
- It can cause rebound headaches if it’s used too often.
- You need to wait at least 2 hours after your first dose to take a second dose.
- May not be the best choice if you have long, drawn-out headaches. Ask your doctor about other triptans that can last longer than Maxalt (Rizatriptan).
- Not a good choice if you have heart disease or if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding.
Maxalt (Rizatriptan) is a triptan medication that treats migraine headaches. It releases serotonin, which lowers the inflammation that causes headaches.
Side effect rates for Maxalt (rizatriptan)
Risks and Warnings for Maxalt (rizatriptan)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
- › High blood pressure
- › High cholesterol
- › Diabetes
- › Being overweight or obese
- › Smoking
Some people taking Maxalt (Rizatriptan) have reported temporary chest pain, pressure, and tightness. These symptoms are caused by heart vessels being constricted/tightened. Before starting Maxalt (Rizatriptan), people who have coronary artery disease, or are more likely to have it, should talk to their doctor about having a heart health assessment.
Common concerns from people taking Maxalt (rizatriptan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- wish i started taking it sooner and saved myself years of pain.
- I took it for migraine every time the attack came. It made me relatively sleepy, so i usually went to bed for an hour or so. After waking up usually i felt much, much better. Besides feeling sleepy, i also felt increased heart rate.