Treats migraine headaches.
Our bottom line
Maxalt (Rizatriptan) is great for relieving short migraines, but doesn't work as well for long-lasting headaches.
- (12) 10mg tablet
- Cost for (12) 10mg tablets of Maxalt (Rizatriptan) at pharmacies
- $353.83New price:$21.23Save:94%
- Kroger Pharmacy$59.31New price:$23.13Save:61%
- $345.86New price:$24.21Save:93%
- $351.73New price:$38.69Save:89%
- Triptans like Maxalt (Rizatriptan) are considered the first-choice treatment to relieve moderate to severe migraine-type headaches.
- It can also be used to treat tension-type headaches.
- Not all triptans work the same way for people, so you can try multiple ones to find the right medication for you.
- You don't need to drink water with the orally disintegrating tablet for it to work, so this could be a good medication for people who can't keep water down when they have a migraine.
- Maxalt (Rizatriptan) doesn’t prevent migraines or tension headaches, but only works once the headache starts.
- It can cause rebound headaches if it’s used too often.
- You need to wait at least 2 hours after your first dose to take a second dose.
- May not be the best choice if you have long, drawn-out headaches. Ask your doctor about other triptans that can last longer than Maxalt (Rizatriptan).
- Not a good choice if you have heart disease or if you’re pregnant or breast-feeding.
Side effect rates for Maxalt (Rizatriptan)
Risks and Warnings for Maxalt (Rizatriptan)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of heart problems
- › High blood pressure
- › High cholesterol
- › Diabetes
- › Being overweight or obese
- › Smoking
Some people taking Maxalt (Rizatriptan) have reported temporary chest pain, pressure, and tightness. These symptoms are caused by heart vessels being constricted/tightened. Before starting Maxalt (Rizatriptan), people who have coronary artery disease, or are more likely to have it, should talk to their doctor about having a heart health assessment.
Common concerns from people taking Maxalt (Rizatriptan)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- wish i started taking it sooner and saved myself years of pain.
- I took it for migraine every time the attack came. It made me relatively sleepy, so i usually went to bed for an hour or so. After waking up usually i felt much, much better. Besides feeling sleepy, i also felt increased heart rate.