Treats appetite and weight loss in people with AIDS, and pain in people with cancer.
Our bottom line
Megace (megestrol) is good for treating appetite and weight loss in people with advanced cancer or AIDS, without causing the side effects of steroids.
- Compared to other medicines, Megace (megestrol) has fewer side effects.
- Megace (megestrol) is available in generic and comes in a pleasant tasting liquid that is easy to take.
- Megace (megestrol) comes in 2 different strengths, which can lower the amount of liquid you have to take.
- Can make it difficult to get or maintain an erection.
- Can cause vaginal bleeding.
- If you've ever had blood clots, Megace (megestrol) can make you more likely to have them again.
Megace (megestrol) is a progestin derivative (steroid hormone). In people who have endometrial and breast cancer, it lowers certain hormones created in tumors that are responsible for causing pain. It is not clear how Megace (megestrol) treats appetite and weight loss.
- Cancer pain
- Appetite loss and weight loss in AIDS
- Appetite loss and weight loss in cancer
What to expect when you take Megace (megestrol) for Appetite & weight lossSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Megace (megestrol)
- Skin rash
- Unable to get or maintain an erection
- Lower sexual desire
- Trouble sleeping
Risks and Warnings for Megace (megestrol)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Pregnancy
If you're pregnant, don't take Megace (megestrol) because it can harm your fetus. Use birth control while you're taking Megace (megestrol) to prevent an unwanted pregnancy from happening. Talk to your doctor if this is a problem.