Treats severe pain.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) provides good long-term pain control without the need to take medicine frequently, but watch out for constipation.
- Provides longer relieve for moderate to severe pain to improve quality of life.
- Good for chronic pain that requires around-the-clock relief.
- Might have fewer side effects than other opioid pain relievers.
- Doesn't work for as-needed or quick pain relief.
- Dizziness and drowsiness is common, but your body may adjust.
- Everyone will get constipation - always stay hydrated and take stool softener or stimulant on days you're taking Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) if you need.
- Long term use will likely cause physical dependence.
- Must be weaned slowly off the medicine after use longer than 2 weeks.
Save on your next Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (120) 15mg tablet
- Cost for (120) 15mg tablets of Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) at pharmacies
- $53.54New price:$20.88Save:61%
- $71.21New price:$23.50Save:67%
Side effects for Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal dreams
- Abnormally fast heart beat
- Abnormally slow breathing
- Abnormally slow heartbeat
- Ankle and leg swelling
- Antidiuretic effects
- Biliary colic
- Body shaking
- Chronic pulmonary disease
- Circulatory depression
- Constricted pupil
- Double vision
- Dry mouth
- Euphoric mood
- Feeling abnormal
- Feeling faint
- Gastrointestinal effects
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- High blood pressure
- Hypotensive effects
- Increased intracranial pressure
- Intense emotional discomfort
- Interactions with other cns depressants
- Involuntary eye movement
- Life-threatening lack of blood flow
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Low mood disorder
- Mood altered
- Muscle ridgity
- Muscle twitching
- Reduced libido and/or potency
- Relaxation or sleepiness
- Respiratory arrest
- Sleep difficulty
- Stopped breathing
- Swelling due to excess fluid
- Taste alteration
- Tingling sensation
- Uncoordinated muscle movements
- Urinary hestitation
- Urinary retention
- Vision blurred
- Visual impairment
What to expect when you take Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) for PainSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Opioid pain medicine that provides longer pain relief—up to 12 hours.
- Works best when taken regularly instead of as-needed.
- Especially useful for people with chronic pain problems.
- May not be the best choice for people who have never taken an opioid pain medicine because it lasts so long.
- Swallow it whole. Don't crush, chew, or split the medicine.
- Can make you dizzy or drowsy.
- Avoid activities that need you to be fully alert until you know how it affects you.
- Take it with food to lower the chance of an upset stomach.
- Constipation is common and may not go away while you're taking this medicine. Drinking lots of water and taking laxatives can help.
- Talk to your doctor if it doesn't help enough for your pain, or if the side effects are really bad.
Risks and Warnings for Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Current use of medicine that affects liver enzyme CYP 3A4
- › Age 65 or greater
- › Higher dose
- › People with not enough thyroid hormones
- › History of lung problems
Taking too much Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) can cause irregular or slow breathing that can put you in a coma and can cause death. Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate) should be swallowed whole, don't ever crush or chew. If your lips and fingers start turning blue from low oxygen, see a doctor immediately. In the hospital, doctors can give you a medicine that reverses the effects of Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate). Don't take more than your doctor prescribes. Always check with your doctor before starting any new medicines or supplements.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Ms Contin (Morphine Sulfate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take it with food to lower the chance of an upset stomach.
- It lasts for about 10 hrs but so do all of the other alternatives. Needs to be taken with food to help titration. Unfortunately the higher fat meals will render the best bioavailability.Age: 47Gender: ManTaken for: Chronic pain (severe)
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Dizziness and drowsiness is common, but your body may adjust.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can make you dizzy or drowsy.
- Weight gainAge: 45Gender: Woman