Breaks up mucus that causes cough.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is a useful medicine for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, and it lasts longer than other guaifenesin products.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
- Lasts longer than some other products that contain guaifenesin, such as Robitussin, because it's an extended-release form.
- It’s available at the drugstore either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and flu symptoms.
- Available in liquid and tablet forms.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is alcohol- and sugar-free.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is more expensive than other medications that treat congestion.
- You need to drink a lot of fluids while taking this medication or it won't work as well.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- Can cause nausea, headache, and an upset stomach.
Save on your next Mucinex (Guaifenesin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (20) 600mg tablet
- Cost for (20) 600mg tablets of Mucinex (Guaifenesin) at pharmacies
Side effects for Mucinex (Guaifenesin)
What to expect when you take Mucinex (Guaifenesin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking Mucinex (Guaifenesin) because liquid helps break down mucus.
- Steam from a humidifier, cool mist vaporizer, or hot shower can also help add moisture to your airways.
- Follow age-specific dosing instructions on how much to take.
- If your cough lasts more than 7 days, call your doctor.
- Mucinex (Guaifenesin) only works for coughs with mucus, so don't use it if you have a dry cough.
Risks and Warnings for Mucinex (Guaifenesin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Some people taking Mucinex (Guaifenesin) have reported nausea and vomiting. This is very rare and usually not serious. However, if you develop a fever with the nausea and vomiting, then talk to your doctor right away.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Mucinex (Guaifenesin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Mucinex (Guaifenesin) is alcohol- and sugar-free.
- I use it at night and it allows me to sleep. I have had bad experiences with NyQuil and other nighttime cold meds...they actually keep me awake and make me hyper! .Age: 66Gender: Woman