Breaks up mucus and relieves cough.
Our bottom line
Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is okay for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it could prevent you from coughing the mucus up. It comes as an extended-release tablet and a short-acting liquid.
- Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is a combination medicine that relieves multiple cold symptoms. It's good to use if you have chest congestion and a cough.
- Helps loosen the mucus and phlegm that builds up in productive and wet coughs.
- The extended release version of Mucinex DM lasts up to 12 hours.
- Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough without mucus or phlegm.
- The two medications in this product could potentially work against each other. Guaifenesin makes mucus easier to cough up, while dextromethorphan (the "DM" in Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin)) stops you from coughing.
- Can cause sleepiness, dizziness, and an upset stomach.
Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) is a combination medicine. Guaifenesin is an expectorant that breaks up and thins out mucus. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant.
Side effect rates for Mucinex Dm (dextromethorphan / guaifenesin)
Risks and Warnings for Mucinex Dm (dextromethorphan / guaifenesin)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
People taking Mucinex Dm (Dextromethorphan / Guaifenesin) have reported nausea and vomiting. This is very rare and usually not serious. If you develop a fever with the nausea and vomiting, then talk to your doctor right away.
Common concerns from people taking Mucinex Dm (dextromethorphan / guaifenesin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Last winter I had this problem where when I would lay down to sleep I would start coughing. I took this and 20 minutes later I laid down - no coughing. After a week or so the problem went away. Came back again later and this helped again.
- I always use this and nasal irrigation to break up mucus. Extremely effective. Best to avoid taking before you are about to do any strenuous or highly social activity - or at least have a lot of tissues on hand.