Our bottom line
Namenda (Memantine) is one of the few medications that can be used to treat moderate to severe dementia caused by Alzheimer's.
- Membership warehousePrice with coupon: $23.21
- Retail Price:$332.00Price with coupon:$23.24
- Kroger PharmacyRetail Price:$118.80Price with coupon:$23.76
- Price with coupon: $25.45
- Price with coupon: $25.55
- Only used to treat moderate to severe dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease.
- It's available as an immediate-release tablet, a solution, and an extended-release tablet.
- Can cause fewer side effects than other medicines used to treat Alzheimer's disease.
- Available as a generic, which is cheaper.
- Like other medications for dementia, it only slows down the progression of the disease; it doesn't stop or reverse it.
Namenda (Memantine) is an NMDA receptor antagonist. Researchers don't know exactly how it helps treat Alzheimer's disease, but it blocks an amino acid called glutamine, which seems to protect nerves from overstimulation.
Side effect rates for Namenda (memantine)
- High blood pressure
- Back pain
Risks and Warnings for Namenda (memantine)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of seizures
Namenda (Memantine) has been shown to raise the chances of someone having a seizure if they've had seizures in the past. Talk to your doctor if you've had a history of seizures to see if an alternative should be prescribed instead.