Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Namenda (Memantine) is one of the few medications that can be used to treat moderate to severe dementia caused by Alzheimer's.
- Only used to treat moderate to severe dementia caused by Alzheimer's disease.
- It's available as an immediate-release tablet, a solution, and an extended-release tablet.
- Can cause fewer side effects than other medicines used to treat Alzheimer's disease.
- Available as a generic, which is cheaper.
- Like other medications for dementia, it only slows down the progression of the disease; it doesn't stop or reverse it.
Save on your next Namenda (Memantine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 10mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 10mg tablets of Namenda (Memantine) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- $25.01New price:$1.75Save93%
- Kroger Pharmacy$29.70New price:$5.94Save80%
- $25.54New price:$1.53Save94%
Side effects for Namenda (Memantine)
From clinical trials of Namenda / Dementia ( 1862)
- DizzinessDizziness7% for Namenda vs.5% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache6% for Namenda vs.3% for placebo
- ConfusionConfusion6% for Namenda vs.5% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation5% for Namenda vs.3% for placebo
- CoughingCoughing4% for Namenda vs.3% for placebo
- High blood pressureHigh blood pressure4% for Namenda vs.2% for placebo
- Back painBack pain3% for Namenda vs.2% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting3% for Namenda vs.2% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness3% for Namenda vs.2% for placebo
- HallucinationHallucination3% for Namenda vs.2% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormal gait
- Ear, nose, or throat infection
- Flu-like symptomsa-like symptoms
- Inflicted injury
- Joint pain
- Leg or ankle swelling
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of bladder control
- Low mood disorder
- Sleep difficulty
- Urinary tract infection
What to expect when you take Namenda (Memantine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Namenda (Memantine) XR capsules can be swallowed whole and shouldn't be chewed or crushed. But they can be opened and sprinkled in a small amount of applesauce.
- If using the oral solution, use the dosing device that comes with the medication. Slowly squirt the dose into the corner of mouth and don't mix it with any other liquids.
- Namenda (Memantine) can cause dizziness, headache, or constipation.
- If you've missed several doses in a row, you'll need to call your doctor about restarting the medication properly again.
Risks and Warnings for Namenda (Memantine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › History of seizures
Namenda (Memantine) has been shown to raise the chances of someone having a seizure if they've had seizures in the past. Talk to your doctor if you've had a history of seizures to see if an alternative should be prescribed instead.