Relieves allergy symptoms.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Nasonex (Mometasone) is a good first-choice treatment for stuffy and runny noses caused by allergies.
- First-choice medication for treating runny and stuffy noses caused by allergies. It works by reducing inflammation in the nose.
- Because it's used directly where the inflammation is happening, it has fewer side effects than oral steroids do and has a lower chance of causing withdrawal symptoms once the medication is stopped.
- Can be used as needed to help control symptoms in people age 13 years or older.
- Available as a generic, which is cheaper.
- Needs to be primed 10 times before it can be used, or re-primed if not used for more than 2 weeks.
- Doesn't have a counter on it, so it can be hard to remember how many sprays are left (each bottle has 120 sprays).
- Since the medicine in Nasonex (Mometasone) is a steroid, it can slow down your healing process if you've hurt your nose or had nose surgery.
Save on your next Nasonex (Mometasone) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 17g of 50mcg nasal spray
- Cost for (1) 17g of 50mcg nasal spray of Nasonex (Mometasone) at pharmacies
- $198.06New price:$95.07Save52%
- Rite-Aid$224.89New price:$105.70Save53%
- $603.28New price:$428.33Save29%
- Kroger Pharmacy$940.79New price:$762.04Save19%
- $1431.31New price:$1245.24Save13%
Side effects for Nasonex (Mometasone)
From clinical trials of Nasonex / Nasal congestion associated with year-round allergies (200 mcg daily) ( 1008)
- Sinus headacheSinus headache1% for Nasonex vs.0% for placebo
- NosebleedNosebleed1% for Nasonex vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Nasonex (Mometasone) for Nasal decongestantSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Use Nasonex (Mometasone) once a day, following age-specific recommendations on how many sprays to use. Don't take more than prescribed.
- Blow your nose before using.
- Can cause thrush (a fungal infection) inside your nose and throat. Can also cause nosebleeds, a sore throat, and headaches.
- Needs to be used regularly during allergy season for it to work. It can take 1 to 2 weeks for the medicine to start working fully.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist on how to use the nasal spray the right way.
- Shake well before using it. Before the first use, prime the bottle by spraying it until you see a fine mist.
Risks and Warnings for Nasonex (Mometasone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Long-term use
Long-term use of Nasonex (Mometasone) can increase your chances of getting thrush in the nose and throat. Your doctor will check your nose and throat if you have to be on this medication for a long time. Also, tell your doctor if you notice pain in the nose and throat with redness and white patches.