Treats tingling and burning nerve pain.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Neurontin (Gabapentin) is an old seizure disorder medicine that's now used to treat nerve-related pain caused by different conditions.
- Originally used to treat epilepsy (partial seizures), but now it primarily treats neuropathic pain that's caused by nerve stimulation or damage.
- Studies show it's most effective for nerve pain from diabetes, shingles, and fibromyalgia (a painful muscle condition).
- It's available as a generic, so it's less expensive than similar medications.
- Neurontin (Gabapentin) is likely to cause some side effects, including memory problems, drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion.
- You can't skip or miss doses since suddenly stopping Neurontin (Gabapentin) can cause seizures. This is even more likely if you drink alcohol, so it might not be the best medication for heavy drinkers.
Save on your next Neurontin (Gabapentin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (90) 300mg capsule
- Cost for (90) 300mg capsules of Neurontin (Gabapentin) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$34.94New price:$12.58Save:64%
- $41.00New price:$13.53Save:67%
- Kmart$151.44New price:$24.23Save:84%
Side effects for Neurontin (Gabapentin)
From clinical trials of Neurontin / Epilepsy ( 921)
- DrowsinessDrowsiness19% for Gabapentin vs.8% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness17% for Gabapentin vs.6% for placebo
- Lack of muscle coordinationLack of muscle coordination12% for Gabapentin vs.5% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue11% for Gabapentin vs.5% for placebo
- Involuntary eye movementInvoluntary eye movement8% for Gabapentin vs.4% for placebo
- TremorTremor6% for Gabapentin vs.3% for placebo
- Double visionDouble vision5% for Gabapentin vs.1% for placebo
- Lazy eye, blurred visionLazy eye, blurred vision4% for Gabapentin vs.1% for placebo
- Inflammation inside the noseInflammation inside the nose4% for Gabapentin vs.3% for placebo
- Weight increaseWeight increase2% for Gabapentin vs.1% for placebo
What to expect when you take Neurontin (Gabapentin) for Partial SeizuresSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Side effects are common, but usually manageable.
- Don't drive while taking Neurontin (Gabapentin) until you know how the medication affects you.
- Neurontin and generic forms of Gabapentin have the same ingredients as Gralise and Horizant, but are dosed differently. Make sure you know which form you're taking since they are used for different purposes.
- Take the extended-release tablet with food.
- Stop taking Neurontin (Gabapentin) slowly over at least one week to avoid getting withdrawal symptoms.
Risks and Warnings for Neurontin (Gabapentin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Neurontin (Gabapentin) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior as early as one week after starting treatment. Watch for the start or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts or behavior, or any unusual changes in mood or behavior. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Neurontin (Gabapentin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › You can't skip or miss doses since suddenly stopping Neurontin (Gabapentin) can cause seizures. This is even more likely if you drink alcohol, so it might not be the best medication for heavy drinkers.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take the extended-release tablet with food.
- Take with food and follow the extended dosage directions..Age: 77Gender: ManTaken for: Nerve painDuration taken: A few months
- It worked well to control pudendal nerve pain, related to pelvic floor dysfunction but its sex-related sided effects were a deal breaker. It can cause anorgasmia (inability to reach orgasm) and general lack of sensation. Bad headaches, too.Age: 49Gender: ManTaken for: Nerve pain from shingles
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Neurontin (Gabapentin) is likely to cause some side effects, including memory problems, drowsiness, dizziness, or confusion.
- Couldn't get to sleep, when I did I would wake shortly then be up for hours. Could not switch gears - would dwell on stuff for ever. Now I am focused and sleep a full 8 hours without "trashing around". Wake up quickly and refreshed.Age: 59Gender: ManTaken for: Anxiety
- This works wonders for my trigeminal neuralgia. I wish I had know just how hard it would hit me the first time I took it. I was so drowsy I had to pull off the road ever five blocks or so. The drowsuness has become virtually zero after a few more cycles. Until you adjust it will make you too tired to function. Start your cycle at night the first few days.Age: 18Gender: WomanTaken for: Nerve pain from shingles
- Take also for partial seizures adjunct. Helps with back pain from prolapsed discs. No weight gain ever! Sleep issues hard to fall & stay asleep. Very tired & drowsy through afternoon. Blurred vision although this may not be just from this.Age: 45Gender: WomanTaken for: Nerve pain from shingles
- Works great, don't know what I would do without it. It helps with the burning and no weight gain here.Taken for: Nerve painDuration taken: A few months
- Weight gain!Age: 32Gender: WomanTaken for: I took it for: Nerve pain from FibromyalgiaDuration taken: Two years or more
- I gained 30 pounds in 3 months. 10 of that was in one week. I'm always hungry and have had to start taking weight loss pills just to curve hunger.Age: 22Gender: WomanTaken for: Nerve pain from shingles