Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate.
Our bottom line
Nifedipine works well to lower blood pressure and prevent chest pain, but you have to be okay with avoiding grapefruit. You can't miss doses, and you might get persistent swelling.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Calcium channel blockers work especially well for African Americans to lower blood pressure.
- You can take it alone or with other medicines to help lower blood pressure.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Prevents heart-related chest pain (angina) if you take it regularly.
- Treats certain abnormal heart rhythms.
- Calcium channel blockers can cause swelling in your limbs. If this happens for you, it probably won't get better over time, so talk to your doctor about alternatives if it bothers you.
- Women are more likely to have side effects (especially swelling) from Nifedipine than men.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Nifedipine suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Not a good medication for you if you love grapefruit. It can make Nifedipine have a stronger effect on your blood pressure.
Nifedipine is a calcium channel blocker. It lowers blood pressure by slowing your heart rate and relaxing your blood vessels. Your heart gets more oxygen and doesn't have to work as hard to pump, which can relieve chest pain.
Side effect rates for Procardia (nifedipine)
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, giddiness
- Nausea, heartburn
- Muscle cramps, tremor
- Leg or ankle swelling
- Nervousness, mood changes
- Heart pounding or racing sensation
- Dyspnea, cough, wheezing
Risks and Warnings for Procardia (nifedipine)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking anti-inflammatories, acid reducers in the stomach, anticholinergics, laxatives, levothyroxine
- › History of intestinal surgery
There have been reports of obstruction within the intestines, sometimes requiring surgery. If you develop sudden constipation, especially if accompanied with a fever, contact your doctor immediately.
Common concerns from people taking Procardia (nifedipine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Reports of liver damage have occurred while on this medication, especially if you have had cirrhosis. Your doctor will monitor your liver on a regular basis. Tell your doctor if you or your caregivers/family notice your skin or the whites of your eyes are becoming yellower, pain in your abdomen, or sudden confusion.
- Swelling pain in limbs, so intense in the feet (turned puffy bright red) couldn't stand up had to elevate for hours, wasn't worth the trouble.
- taking anything that causes anticholinergic side effects such as muscle relaxers,antihistamines,pain meds,sedatives will cause unbearable constipation/ dangerous