Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate.
Our bottom line
Nifedipine works well to lower blood pressure and prevent chest pain, but you have to be okay with avoiding grapefruit. You can't miss doses, and you might get persistent swelling.
- A first-choice blood pressure treatment for many people.
- Calcium channel blockers work especially well for African Americans to lower blood pressure.
- You can take it alone or with other medicines to help lower blood pressure.
- Lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Prevents heart-related chest pain (angina) if you take it regularly.
- Treats certain abnormal heart rhythms.
- Calcium channel blockers can cause swelling in your limbs. If this happens for you, it probably won't get better over time, so talk to your doctor about alternatives if it bothers you.
- Women are more likely to have side effects (especially swelling) from Nifedipine than men.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Nifedipine suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Not a good medication for you if you love grapefruit. It can make Nifedipine have a stronger effect on your blood pressure.
Save on your next Procardia (Nifedipine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (90) 10mg capsule
- Cost for (90) 10mg capsules of Procardia (Nifedipine) at pharmacies
- $83.73New price:$46.05Save:45%
- Rite-Aid$107.62New price:$53.81Save:50%
- $88.33New price:$58.30Save:34%
What to expect when you take Procardia (Nifedipine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness or headaches in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Can cause face flushing and ankle or foot swelling.
- Avoid grapefruit while taking this medicine.
- Your doctor might do routine blood tests to check your liver function.
Side effects for Procardia (Nifedipine)
From clinical trials of Nifedipine / Any condition ( 461)
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, giddinessDizziness, lightheadedness, giddiness27% for Nifedipine vs.15% for placebo
- FlushingFlushing25% for Nifedipine vs.8% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache23% for Nifedipine vs.20% for placebo
- WeaknessWeakness12% for Nifedipine vs.10% for placebo
- Nausea, heartburnNausea, heartburn11% for Nifedipine vs.8% for placebo
- Muscle cramps, tremorMuscle cramps, tremor8% for Nifedipine vs.3% for placebo
- Leg or ankle swellingLeg or ankle swelling7% for Nifedipine vs.1% for placebo
- Nervousness, mood changesNervousness, mood changes7% for Nifedipine vs.4% for placebo
- Heart pounding or racing sensationHeart pounding or racing sensation7% for Nifedipine vs.5% for placebo
- Dyspnea, cough, wheezingDyspnea, cough, wheezing6% for Nifedipine vs.3% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Procardia (Nifedipine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking anti-inflammatories, acid reducers in the stomach, anticholinergics, laxatives, levothyroxine
- › History of intestinal surgery
There have been reports of obstruction within the intestines, sometimes requiring surgery. If you develop sudden constipation, especially if accompanied with a fever, contact your doctor immediately.