Improves mood and helps you sleep.
Our bottom line
Oleptro (Trazodone) works well as a sleep aid, but has more side effects when used at higher doses for treating depression.
- Commonly used in lower doses to help treat sleep problems (insomnia).
- Safer sleep medication than others (benzodiazepines or Unisom) for people age 65 and older.
- Fewer sexual side effects than many other antidepressants.
- Has been used for sleep and depression for a long time. There's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- Comes as a generic medication and is cheaper than many other sleep aides.
- Six out of ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
- Not as effective as other medications for depression.
- More sedating than other antidepressants.
- Causes more side effects when used at higher doses for depression. Includes sleepiness, dizziness, upset stomach, and irregular heartbeat.
- Like most antidepressants, can cause higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people age 24 and younger.
- The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
Oleptro (Trazodone) is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SRI) antidepressant. It increases serotonin activity in the brain, which regulates mood.
What to expect when you take Oleptro (trazodone) for DepressionSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Oleptro (trazodone)
- Dry Mouth
- Dry mouth
Risks and Warnings for Oleptro (trazodone)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age 24 years or younger
Oleptro (Trazodone) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Watch for worsening depression or any unusual changes in mood or behavior, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately. Oleptro (Trazodone) is not approved for use in children younger than age 18.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Oleptro (trazodone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- ❗️DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL. 🍸
- may cause drowsiness in the morning.
- Drowsy in morning
- Did not help me sleep.