Improves mood and helps you sleep.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Oleptro (Trazodone) works well as a sleep aid, but has more side effects when used at higher doses for treating depression.
- Commonly used in lower doses to help treat sleep problems (insomnia).
- Safer sleep medication than others (benzodiazepines or Unisom) for people age 65 and older.
- Fewer sexual side effects than many other antidepressants.
- Has been used for sleep and depression for a long time. There's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- Comes as a generic medication and is cheaper than many other sleep aides.
- Six out of ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
- Not as effective as other medications for depression.
- More sedating than other antidepressants.
- Causes more side effects when used at higher doses for depression. Includes sleepiness, dizziness, upset stomach, and irregular heartbeat.
- Like most antidepressants, can cause higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people age 24 and younger.
- The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
Save on your next Oleptro (Trazodone) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 50mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 50mg tablets of Oleptro (Trazodone) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy$16.05New price:$9.15Save43%
- $11.88New price:$4.87Save59%
- Kmart$9.72New price:$2.04Save79%
Side effects for Oleptro (Trazodone)
From clinical trials of Oleptro / Depression ( 406)
- Somnolence/sedationSomnolence/sedation46% for Trazodone vs.19% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness41% for Trazodone vs.20% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth34% for Trazodone vs.20% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache33% for Trazodone vs.27% for placebo
- Dizziness/lightheadednessDizziness/lightheadedness28% for Trazodone vs.15% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness25% for Trazodone vs.12% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth25% for Trazodone vs.13% for placebo
- NauseaNausea21% for Trazodone vs.13% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache20% for Trazodone vs.16% for placebo
- Blurred visionBlurred vision15% for Trazodone vs.4% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abdominal pain
- Abnormal sense of taste
- Confusional state
- Coordination abnormal
- Decreased appetite
- Eyes red/tired/itching
- Feeling unwell
- Head full-heavy
- Memory impairment
- Muscle pain
- Musculoskeletal complaints
- Night sweats
- Ringing in the ears
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling due to excess fluid
- Tingling sensation
- Urgency to urinate
- Visual disturbance
What to expect when you take Oleptro (Trazodone) for DepressionSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Makes you sleepy. Take at bedtime.
- Can cause temporary dry mouth and upset stomach.
- Seek medical attention for unwanted, persistent erection.
- Tell your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or unusual thoughts.
Risks and Warnings for Oleptro (Trazodone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age 24 years or younger
Oleptro (Trazodone) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Watch for worsening depression or any unusual changes in mood or behavior, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately. Oleptro (Trazodone) is not approved for use in children younger than age 18.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Oleptro (Trazodone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Fewer sexual side effects than many other antidepressants.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Seek medical attention for unwanted, persistent erection.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Rarely, Oleptro (Trazodone) can cause a painful, persistent erection for 4 hours or more. Seek medical attention.
- It certainly helped me with my restlessness and insomnia. Way better than Peridol and Paxil. Eat healthy and keep fit. It will reduce most to all side effects, especially sexual side effects of any kind men. High protein, low carbs.Age: 40Gender: ManTaken for: Depression
- It improves your sleep quality and makes you feel happier and positive, sometimes it makes you get erections easilyAge: 18Gender: Man
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Commonly used in lower doses to help treat sleep problems (insomnia).
- › Safer sleep medication than others (benzodiazepines or Unisom) for people age 65 and older.
- › Has been used for sleep and depression for a long time. There's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- › Comes as a generic medication and is cheaper than many other sleep aides.
- For insomnia I take a 50mg tablet about an hour before bedtime. The medication, in my case, does not make me very drowsy but has very much improved the quality of my sleep, i.e., sleep efficiency.Age: 71Gender: ManTaken for: InsomniaDuration taken: A month or so
- No side effects as far as I can tell. Helps with early night sleeping, not as consistent with all through the nightAge: 58Gender: WomanTaken for: InsomniaDuration taken: Two years or more
- Drowsy in morningAge: 58Gender: WomanTaken for: I took it for: insomniaDuration taken: Two years or more