Treats heartburn and stomach ulcers.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Protonix (Pantoprazole) gives you long-lasting heartburn relief. Choose the cheapest proton pump inhibitor because they all work equally well for heartburn.
- Most people can take Pantoprazole without any noticeable day-to-day side effects.
- Pantoprazole lasts longer than other types of antacids (like Zantac, Pepcid, or Tums), and you only need to take it once or twice a day.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need relief right away.
- In studies it was better than a placebo (sugar pill) and as good as other proton pump inhibitors at treating heartburn.
- Available as both a generic and over-the-counter option, so it's pretty affordable.
- Doesn't start working as fast as some other antacids like Tums, Rolaids, or Maalox.
- Like with other proton pump inhibitors, long-term use can cause weak or broken bones.
- Can cause low levels of magnesium in the blood. You might need to take a magnesium supplement if you use Pantoprazole long-term.
- Can be expensive. Other alternatives are usually cheaper than Pantoprazole.
- Less risk of drug interactions with Pantoprazole than with other proton pump inhibitors.
Save on your next Protonix (Pantoprazole) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 40mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 40mg tablets of Protonix (Pantoprazole) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$9.18New price:$2.11Save77%
- $11.27New price:$1.92Save83%
- Sams Club
- $13.69New price:$1.64Save88%
- $14.15New price:$1.70Save88%
Side effects for Protonix (Pantoprazole)
What to expect when you take Protonix (Pantoprazole) for Reduces stomach acidSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take with or without food.
- Swallow tablets whole; don't split, crush, or chew.
- Take the oral suspension 30 minutes before a meal mixed only with applesauce or apple juice. Follow instructions carefully.
- When using Pantoprazole long-term, take a calcium citrate with vitamin D supplement daily to prevent bone loss. Be sure it's calcium citrate because it works the best when using a proton pump inhibitor.
- Get a blood test for your magnesium level once a year; you may need a magnesium supplement while using Pantoprazole.
- Avoid drug interactions by telling your doctor all of the other medications or herbal supplements you take before starting Pantoprazole.
Risks and Warnings for Protonix (Pantoprazole)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Heartburn and feelings of upset stomach can be warning signs of a more serious stomach problem or cancer. If you need to take Protonix (Pantoprazole) for 2 weeks or more go see a doctor. It's safest to get checked out to make sure you do not have a serious stomach condition.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Protonix (Pantoprazole)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with or without food.
- › Take the oral suspension 30 minutes before a meal mixed only with applesauce or apple juice. Follow instructions carefully.
- since it has to be taken 30 minutes before breakfast, it does interfere with morning routine.Age: 54Gender: WomanTaken for: Duodenal ulcerDuration taken: A few months