Our bottom line
Penicillin Vk (Penicillin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. You may need to use another form of birth control along with your birth control pills. It's also best taken on an empty stomach but it can cause an upset stomach.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Many bacteria have developed resistance. Your doctor may run tests to see if Penicillin will work on your infection.
- Can make birth control pills less effective.
- Best taken on an empty stomach, but can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.
Side effect rates for Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)
Risks and Warnings for Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
As with all antibiotics, Penicillin Vk (Penicillin) can cause diarrhea. If this happens while you're taking the medication, taking probiotics in the form of yogurt, supplements or drinks a few hours after you take the medication may help. If you develop an unusual diarrhea with loose or bloody stools weeks after you finish the medication, talk to your doctor as this can be a rare but serious side effect.