Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Penicillin Vk (Penicillin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available as a generic. You may need to use another form of birth control along with your birth control pills. It's also best taken on an empty stomach but it can cause an upset stomach.
- Available in generic.
- Available in different forms: tablet, capsule and suspension.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Many bacteria have developed resistance. Your doctor may run tests to see if Penicillin will work on your infection.
- Can make birth control pills less effective.
- Best taken on an empty stomach, but can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.
Side effects for Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Black hairy tongue
- Destruction of red blood cells
- Fatal anaphylaxis
- Laryngeal edema
- Low white blood cells
- Nerve damage
- Serious allergic reaction
- Serum sickness-like reactions
- Skin eruptions
- Upset stomach
What to expect when you take Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take this medication exactly how your doctor tells you to.
- If you're taking birth control pills, this medication can make them less effective.
- Try to take it on an empty stomach. If this gives you an upset stomach, take it with food.
- Can cause diarrhea, nausea or vomiting.
Risks and Warnings for Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
As with all antibiotics, Penicillin Vk (Penicillin) can cause diarrhea. If this happens while you're taking the medication, taking probiotics in the form of yogurt, supplements or drinks a few hours after you take the medication may help. If you develop an unusual diarrhea with loose or bloody stools weeks after you finish the medication, talk to your doctor as this can be a rare but serious side effect.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Penicillin Vk (Penicillin)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Try to take it on an empty stomach. If this gives you an upset stomach, take it with food.