Our bottom line
Pepcid (Famotidine) works well for heartburn but may not last as long or start working as quickly as other antacids.
- Most people can take Famotidine without any noticeable day-to-day side effects.
- Famotidine lasts longer than many other antacids like Maalox and Tums, and you only need to take it once or twice a day.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need relief right away.
- Available as both a generic and over-the-counter option, so it's pretty affordable.
- Few drug interactions.
- Other antacids like Maalox, Tums, or Rolaids often start to work more quickly than Famotidine.
- Medication like omeprazole (proton pump inhibitors) works better at healing and preventing stomach ulcers than medication like Famotidine (H2 blockers).
- Can cause more serious side effects for people with kidney disease. Ask your doctor to give you a lower dose or choose a different option.
Save on your next Pepcid (Famotidine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 20mg tablets of Pepcid (Famotidine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$22.63New price:$9.05Save:60%
- $32.78New price:$11.80Save:64%
- $27.35New price:$13.13Save:52%
- Kmart$170.11New price:$15.31Save:91%
What to expect when you take Pepcid (Famotidine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Short-term treatment of ulcers and acid reflux.
Side effects for Pepcid (Famotidine)
From clinical trials of Pepcid / Any condition
- HeadacheHeadache5% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea2% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness1% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation1% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Pepcid (Famotidine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Heartburn and feelings of upset stomach can be warning signs of a more serious stomach problem or cancer. If you need to take Pepcid (Famotidine) for 2 weeks or more go see a doctor. It's safest to get checked out to make sure you do not have a serious stomach condition.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Pepcid (Famotidine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause more serious side effects for people with kidney disease. Ask your doctor to give you a lower dose or choose a different option.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Because Pepcid (Famotidine) is processed by the kidney it can cause some worrisome side effects for people with kidney problems. These include confusion, delirium, and a dangerous irregular heartbeat known as QT prolongation. If you have kidney problems, you may need a different dose to prevent this increased risk for side effects.