Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Pepcid (Famotidine) works well for heartburn but may not last as long or start working as quickly as other antacids.
- Most people can take Famotidine without any noticeable day-to-day side effects.
- Famotidine lasts longer than many other antacids like Maalox and Tums, and you only need to take it once or twice a day.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need relief right away.
- Available as both a generic and over-the-counter option, so it's pretty affordable.
- Few drug interactions.
- Other antacids like Maalox, Tums, or Rolaids often start to work more quickly than Famotidine.
- Medication like omeprazole (proton pump inhibitors) works better at healing and preventing stomach ulcers than medication like Famotidine (H2 blockers).
- Can cause more serious side effects for people with kidney disease. Ask your doctor to give you a lower dose or choose a different option.
Save on your next Pepcid (Famotidine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 20mg tablets of Pepcid (Famotidine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$22.63New price:$9.05Save:60%
- $32.64New price:$11.75Save:64%
- $27.42New price:$13.71Save:50%
Side effects for Pepcid (Famotidine)
From clinical trials of Pepcid / Any condition
- HeadacheHeadache5% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea2% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness1% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation1% for Famotidine vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Pepcid (Famotidine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Short-term treatment of ulcers and acid reflux.
Risks and Warnings for Pepcid (Famotidine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Heartburn and feelings of upset stomach can be warning signs of a more serious stomach problem or cancer. If you need to take Pepcid (Famotidine) for 2 weeks or more go see a doctor. It's safest to get checked out to make sure you do not have a serious stomach condition.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Pepcid (Famotidine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause more serious side effects for people with kidney disease. Ask your doctor to give you a lower dose or choose a different option.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Because Pepcid (Famotidine) is processed by the kidney it can cause some worrisome side effects for people with kidney problems. These include confusion, delirium, and a dangerous irregular heartbeat known as QT prolongation. If you have kidney problems, you may need a different dose to prevent this increased risk for side effects.