Prevents blood clots.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Plavix (Clopidogrel) works well to prevent blood clots and heart complications, but watch out for drug interactions.
- Thins your blood to protect your heart after a heart attack or after a procedure on your heart.
- Studies have shown clopidogrel lowers your risk of death or further heart complications.
- Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Lots of interactions with other drugs or supplements. Always check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new meds.
- Doesn't work well for people with certain genetic variations.
Save on your next Plavix (Clopidogrel) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
Side effects for Plavix (Clopidogrel)
From clinical trials of Plavix / Blood thinning to prevent heart attack (With aspirin vs. Placebo + aspirin) ( 12562)
- Minor bleedingMinor bleeding5% for Clopidogrel vs.2% for placebo
- Major bleedingMajor bleeding4% for Clopidogrel vs.3% for placebo
- Any noncerebral bleedingAny noncerebral bleeding4% for Clopidogrel vs.3% for placebo
- Life-threatening bleedingLife-threatening bleeding2% for Clopidogrel vs.2% for placebo
- Bleeding requiring transfusion (≥ 4 units)Bleeding requiring transfusion (≥ 4 units)1% for Clopidogrel vs.1% for placebo
- Requiring 2-3 units of bloodRequiring 2-3 units of blood1% for Clopidogrel vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Other major bleeding
What to expect when you start Plavix (Clopidogrel)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Thins your blood to prevent clots from forming or getting bigger. Doesn't break up existing clots.
- Can raise your risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Take it exactly as instructed.
- Interacts with a lot of medicines and supplements. Don't start any new meds without talking to your doctor.
- Let your doctor know about any fever, weakness, or unusual bleeding or bruising.
Risks and Warnings for Plavix (Clopidogrel)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Genetic variation (CYP2C19 poor metabolizer)
- › Drug-interactions
Plavix (Clopidogrel) may not work well for some people. Certain medicines that reduce stomach acid can also prevent Plavix (Clopidogrel) from working. Your doctor may order a genetic test to make sure Plavix (Clopidogrel) is right for you. Do not start anything new without first talking to your doctor.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.