Prevents blood clots.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Plavix (Clopidogrel) works well to prevent blood clots and heart complications, but watch out for drug interactions.
- Thins your blood to protect your heart after a heart attack or after a procedure on your heart.
- Studies have shown clopidogrel lowers your risk of death or further heart complications.
- Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Lots of interactions with other drugs or supplements. Always check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new meds.
- Doesn't work well for people with certain genetic variations.
Save on your next Plavix (Clopidogrel) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 75mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 75mg tablets of Plavix (Clopidogrel) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$13.11New price:$3.28Save75%
- $11.14New price:$0.89Save92%
- Sams Club
- $45.22New price:$6.33Save86%
- Kmart$141.14New price:$69.16Save51%
- $141.14New price:$69.16Save51%
Side effects for Plavix (Clopidogrel)
From clinical trials of Plavix / Blood thinning to prevent heart attack (With aspirin vs. Placebo + aspirin) ( 12562)
- Minor bleedingMinor bleeding5% for Clopidogrel vs.2% for placebo
- Major bleedingMajor bleeding4% for Clopidogrel vs.3% for placebo
- Any noncerebral bleedingAny noncerebral bleeding4% for Clopidogrel vs.3% for placebo
- Life-threatening bleedingLife-threatening bleeding2% for Clopidogrel vs.2% for placebo
- Bleeding requiring transfusion (≥ 4 units)Bleeding requiring transfusion (≥ 4 units)1% for Clopidogrel vs.1% for placebo
- Requiring 2-3 units of bloodRequiring 2-3 units of blood1% for Clopidogrel vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Other major bleeding
What to expect when you take Plavix (Clopidogrel) for AnticoagulantSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Thins your blood to prevent clots from forming or getting bigger. Doesn't break up existing clots.
- Can raise your risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Take it exactly as instructed.
- Interacts with a lot of medicines and supplements. Don't start any new meds without talking to your doctor.
- Let your doctor know about any fever, weakness, or unusual bleeding or bruising.
Risks and Warnings for Plavix (Clopidogrel)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Genetic variation (CYP2C19 poor metabolizer)
- › Drug-interactions
Plavix (Clopidogrel) may not work well for some people. Certain medicines that reduce stomach acid can also prevent Plavix (Clopidogrel) from working. Your doctor may order a genetic test to make sure Plavix (Clopidogrel) is right for you. Do not start anything new without first talking to your doctor.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.