Plavix (clopidogrel) is a cheap, generically available blood thinner that protects you from clots after you've had a heart attack or surgery.
Coumadin (warfarin) is a cheap and effective medicine that prevents new blood clots. It requires regular blood tests and you'll need to eat, exercise, and take your medicines consistently.
- Plavix (clopidogrel) can help lower your risk of getting a stroke or heart attack.
- You only need to take it once a day.
- A genetic test is available to determine whether Plavix (clopidogrel) will be an effective treatment option for you.
- Coumadin (warfarin) is available as a generic, so it should be less expensive than the brand version.
- In case you start bleeding too much while using Coumadin (warfarin), your doctor can give you another drug that reverses Coumadin (warfarin)'s effects.
- Coumadin (warfarin) comes in numerous strengths.
- Coumadin (warfarin) has been around for a long time and is one of the most commonly used 'blood thinner' medicines.
- Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising, which can be serious and life-threatening.
- May not be safe to be taken with many other medicines or supplements.
- If you've taken too much Plavix (clopidogrel) and you're bleeding, plasma transfusions are required to stop the bleeding.
- Raises your risk of bleeding and bruising.
- Requires regular blood work, such as an INR, to make sure Coumadin (warfarin) is working correctly.
- Your daily dose of Coumadin (warfarin) can change if you change your diet, exercise patterns, or use of alcohol.
- A lot of other drugs and supplements interact with Coumadin (warfarin), so you'll need to check with your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medicines.
Have you used Plavix (clopidogrel)?Leave a review
- Weakened ability to prevent blood clots
Taking Prilosec or Nexium
...and 1 more risk factors
- Life-threatening bleeding
History of stomach bleeding
...and 2 more risk factors
- Life threatening bleeding
Coumadin (warfarin) dose too high
...and 8 more risk factors
- Harm to fetus
Women of childbearing age