Prevents blood clots.
Our bottom line
Pradaxa (Dabigatran) is a good medication for preventing blood clots. It doesn't require regular blood tests or changing doses often. It can be expensive and there's no way to reverse the medication's effects.
- Clinical studies have shown that the risk of stroke and blood clots is lower than with warfarin, another popular "blood thinner" (anticoagulant).
- Doesn't require regular blood tests or frequent dose changes.
- In studies comparing Pradaxa (Dabigatran) to other "blood thinners", it worked just as well in preventing strokes and was better in lowering the risk of bleeding.
- Not available as generic.
- There are no antidotes to stop bleeding caused by taking too much Pradaxa (Dabigatran).
- Can't take during pregnancy.
Save on your next Pradaxa (Dabigatran) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 60 capsules of 150mg dose pack
- Cost for (1) 60 capsules of 150mg dose pack of Pradaxa (Dabigatran) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$419.11New price:$389.77Save:7%
- $478.07New price:$392.02Save:18%
- Rite-Aid$461.57New price:$396.95Save:14%
- $427.66New price:$397.72Save:7%
- $427.66New price:$397.72Save:7%
What to expect when you take Pradaxa (Dabigatran) for AnticoagulantSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Pradaxa (Dabigatran) is an anticoagulant, so it's important not to miss a dose. Don't stop taking this medication without talking to your doctor first.
- When taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran), you can bleed more easily, so use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor to avoid cutting yourself.
- Take this exactly as your doctor or pharmacist tells you to.
- Take with a full glass of water. Swallow the capsule whole. Don't chew, break, or open the capsule.
Side effects for Pradaxa (Dabigatran)
From clinical trials of Pradaxa / Prevention of blood clots (150 mg) ( 6076)
- Gi side effectGi side effect35% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Gi side effectGi side effect25% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect21% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Any bleedAny bleed20% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Any bleedAny bleed17% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Any bleedAny bleed11% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- IndigestionIndigestion8% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Major gastrointestinal bleedMajor gastrointestinal bleed6% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Gi bleedGi bleed3% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
- Major bleedMajor bleed3% for Pradaxa vs.0% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Pradaxa (Dabigatran)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Stopping Pradaxa (Dabigatran) too soon
Don't stop taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran) until your doctor tells you to, since stopping too early can put you at greater risk for getting blood clots or stroke, especially if you're not being switched to another blood thinner to continue treatment. Talk to your doctor first if you want to stop this medication.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Should be taken with food to prevent upset stomach. Also some issue with swallowig capsules. Switching to Eliquis.
- Must take with food and liquid