Prevents blood clots.
Our bottom line
Pradaxa (Dabigatran) is a good medication for preventing blood clots. It doesn't require regular blood tests or changing doses often. It can be expensive and there's no way to reverse the medication's effects.
- Clinical studies have shown that the risk of stroke and blood clots is lower than with warfarin, another popular "blood thinner" (anticoagulant).
- Doesn't require regular blood tests or frequent dose changes.
- In studies comparing Pradaxa (Dabigatran) to other "blood thinners", it worked just as well in preventing strokes and was better in lowering the risk of bleeding.
- Not available as generic.
- There are no antidotes to stop bleeding caused by taking too much Pradaxa (Dabigatran).
- Can't take during pregnancy.
Pradaxa (Dabigatran) is an anticoagulant that stops the formation of blood clots.
What to expect when you take Pradaxa (dabigatran) for AnticoagulantSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Pradaxa (dabigatran)
- Gi side effect
- Any side effect
- Any bleed
- Major gastrointestinal bleed
- Gi bleed
- Major bleed
- Gastritis-like symptoms
- Gastrointestinal bleed
- Life-threatening bleed
Risks and Warnings for Pradaxa (dabigatran)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Stopping Pradaxa (Dabigatran) too soon
Don't stop taking Pradaxa (Dabigatran) until your doctor tells you to, since stopping too early can put you at greater risk for getting blood clots or stroke, especially if you're not being switched to another blood thinner to continue treatment. Talk to your doctor first if you want to stop this medication.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Pradaxa (dabigatran)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- the only problem is it's cost.
- Price is REDICULOUS !!!!!!!! ONE OF THOSE GREEDY COMPANIES.
- Must take with food and liquid
- Should be taken with food to prevent upset stomach. Also some issue with swallowig capsules. Switching to Eliquis.