Calms down your immune system.
Our bottom line
Deltasone (Prednisone) is a common oral corticosteroid that's great for controlling the unwanted symptoms from your immune responses and will make you feel better. There are lots of side effects but most of are tolerable or can be managed.
- Steroid magic, can help you feel better, have more energy and get more appetite.
- Useful for many conditions.
- Short-term use in controlling immune responses that are causing you discomfort, and works quickly to relieve symptoms like swelling, rash, asthma attacks, gout attacks.
- Long-term use in suppressing the immune system from causing your body harm, like many autoimmune related conditions.
- Lots of side effects, especially with long term use.
- Short-term use can cause mood changes, trouble sleeping and increase in blood pressure, blood sugar, and possible water retention.
- Long-term use can cause problems with skin, bone, eye health and put you at a higher risk for infections.
- People with certain conditions will have to pay extra attention to their symptoms or may have to adjust the dose of other medicines when taking Prednisone.
- When using corticosteroids for more than 1 week, you will need to work with a doctor to get off the medicine slowly.
- Only available as an oral medicine so the rest of your body will be exposed to the medicine.
Save on your next Deltasone (Prednisone) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (10) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (10) 20mg tablets of Deltasone (Prednisone) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$6.04New price:$3.26Save:46%
- $11.95New price:$5.26Save:56%
- Kmart$11.93New price:$6.80Save:43%
- $11.96New price:$6.82Save:43%
What to expect when you take Deltasone (Prednisone) for Anti-inflammatorySkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- The dose and duration on how long you need the medicine depends on your condition and response.
- Take it exactly as your doctor prescribed.
- Take with food to decrease stomach upset.
- Can cause trouble sleeping. Take in the morning or 2-3 hours before bed if more than one dose is needed.
- Can cause changes in mood, blood pressure, blood sugar, and water retention.
- You should check your blood pressure and blood sugar when taking this medicine if you already have high blood pressure or diabetes.
- A taper is is often needed to stop the medicine, especially if you've been on it for more than 1 week.
Side effects for Deltasone (Prednisone)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Aseptic necrosis of femoral and humeral heads
- Body shaking
- Bulging eyes
- Congestive heart failure in susceptible patients
- Decreased carbohydrate tolerance
- Development of cushingoid state
- Facial erythema
- High blood pressure
- Holding water
- Hypokalemic alkalosis
- Impaired wound healing
- Increased intracranial pressure with papilledema
- Increased intraocular pressure
- Increased requirements for insulin
- Increased sweating
- Loss of muscle mass
- Manifestations of latent diabetes mellitus
- May suppress reactions to skin tests
- Menstrual irregularities
- Muscle weakness
- Negative nitrogen balance due to protein
- Pathologic fracture of long bones
- Peptic ulcer with possible perforation and hemorrhage
- Petechiae and ecchymoses
- Posterior subcapsular cataracts
- Potassium loss
- Secondary adrenocortical and pituitary unresponsiveness
- Sodium retention
- Steroid myopathy
- Suppression of growth in children
- Swollen belly
- Thin fragile skin
- Ulcerative esophagitis
- Urticaria and other allergic reactions
- Vertebral compression fractures
- Very low bone mineral density
Risks and Warnings for Deltasone (Prednisone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Lowering dose or stopping too quickly especially after long-term treatment
- › Stress such as trauma, surgery or infection
Adrenal suppression leading to adrenal crisis can occur if you lower your dose or stop taking Deltasone (Prednisone) too quickly. Symptoms include joint or muscle pain, extreme low energy and depression. Changes in your Deltasone (Prednisone) dose need to be done slowly over time. Talk to your doctor before you make any changes or stop the medication.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Deltasone (Prednisone)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Taking Deltasone (Prednisone) increases the risk of injury to the lining of your stomach and intestine including irritation, tears/holes and ulcers. You should avoid alcohol/alcoholic beverages because it can worsen stomach irritation. Tell your doctor or get medical care right away if you have stomach pain, notice blood or dark colored stools when you go to the bathroom.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take with food to decrease stomach upset.
- The main thing is: the prednisolone stopped the protein leak from my kidneys (Minimal change syndrome) in about two weeks, at a 60mg a day dose. I'm forever grateful for this. However, side effects included huge fat face. Insomnia. Irregular periods - which actually turned out to be a pregnancy - as the steroids not only masked the symptoms of my pregnancy, they perhaps helped it along...
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Short-term use can cause mood changes, trouble sleeping and increase in blood pressure, blood sugar, and possible water retention.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can cause trouble sleeping. Take in the morning or 2-3 hours before bed if more than one dose is needed.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Like most corticosteroid medicines, Deltasone (Prednisone) may cause changes in your mood or behavior. Tell your doctor right away if you become depressed, have mood swings, trouble sleeping, irritability or anxiety, hyperactivity, delusions or hallucinations while taking this medicine. If you need to make any changes or slowly taper your dose, talk to your doctor first.
- Ultimately I needed to take Xanax to sleep while on my regimen. High level of mood swings.
- Gained lots of weight, puffy face, stomach ulcers, rash and more on this med. I'm not sure if it's worth it since I have a lot of side effects but it did work for joint pain.
- I have taken Prednisone on and off as low dose therapy to control Lupus and MS, but it caused a sandpaper rash all over my arms and face so doctor terminated the treatment. Weight gain was a definite issue for me.
- Caused weight loss, muscle wasting and thinning of the bones