Relieves menopause symptoms and lowers your risk of osteoporosis.
Our bottom line
Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate) is effective at treating symptoms related to menopause and bone loss. It has a difficult dosing schedule to follow, but doesn't affect your cholesterol and triglyceride levels as much as other estrogen products.
- (1) 30 tablets package
- Cost for (1) 30 tablets package of Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate) at pharmacies
- Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate) replenishes estrogen to your whole body and relieves multiple symptoms due to low estrogen (hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness).
- Lowers your risk of fractures by keeping your bones healthy. Make sure you also get enough calcium and Vitamin D.
- Improves mood, energy, and mental alertness for some people.
- Good for women with an intact uterus. The norgestimate (a progestin) protects against the risk of cancer in the uterus caused by estrogen treatment.
- Doesn't affect your cholesterol levels as much as other estrogen treatments.
- More potential side effects since it exposes your whole body to two hormones, estrogen and norgestimate (a progestin).
- Dosing schedule can be hard to follow with the 2 different kind of pills (estrogen-only and estrogen/progestin pills).
- Increases your risk of developing blood clots and stroke.
- You may get irregular bleeding and spotting that can last a few months to a year.
Side effect rates for Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate)
- Upper respiratory-tract infection
- Breast pain
- Back pain
- Abdominal pain
- Flu-like symptomsa-like symptoms
- Joint pain
- Vaginal bleeding (all)
- Menstrual cramps
- Sinus inflammation
Risks and Warnings for Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Using estrogen for more than one year
Vaginal bleeding after menopause can be a warning sign of uterus (endometrial) cancer, so let your doctor know if you notice any unusual bleeding. When estrogen is prescribed to women after menopause who still have a uterus, progestin should be used with it to lower the risk of cancer. Low-dose vaginal estrogen products are often a better choice than oral pills for women 65 years or older who have vaginal symptoms.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Can cause nausea, dizziness, bloating, and breast tenderness.
- Prefest (Estradiol / Norgestimate) is a mixture of estrogen and progestin. It could cause a higher risk of ovarian cancer, especially if you have a family history of it. Your doctor can help you weigh the risks versus the benefits of this medication.