Prevents bone loss.
Our bottom line
Prolia (Denosumab) is an effective and convenient treatment for osteoporosis if other options haven’t worked or aren’t appropriate for you. There’re risks of some rare side effects, so make sure you're following up with your doctor regularly.
- Prolia (Denosumab) is effective at preventing bone loss, making your bones stronger and lowering your chance of getting a fracture.
- Only need to get an injection every 6 months, so you don’t have to remember to take something every day.
- Approved for women only after they’ve reached menopause. Don’t use this if you’re pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Can lower blood calcium levels. You might need to take calcium supplements to prevent this.
- Not available as a generic.
Prolia (Denosumab) is a monoclonal antibody. It blocks a protein that sends signals to break down your bones, and therefore prevents bone loss.
Side effect rates for Prolia (denosumab)
- Back pain
- Pain in extremity
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Bladder infection
- Ankle and leg swelling
- Ear, nose, or throat infection
- Lung infection
Risks and Warnings for Prolia (denosumab)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking steroids
Some people who take Prolia (Denosumab) have had unusual thigh fractures. However, it’s unclear if Prolia (Denosumab) causes these fractures. Report any unusual hip, thigh, or groin pain to your doctor.
Common concerns from people taking Prolia (denosumab)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Can cause skin irritation, joint pain, limb pain, and back pain.
- extreme joint pain can be a result; also, made me feel 100 years old!
- I have been taking Tylenol for the leg pain. Appears to be helping. I had back pain before the injection so it is difficult to say if Prolia is causing that or not.
- Been on med for a year and the 1 year bone density showed an increase in bone mass. 1st injection got deathly sick with severe pain in neck muscles and in turn made me sick to my stomach. Lasted 3 days. The last 2 injections less side effects but do notice some muscle pain.