Helps your hair grow back.
Our bottom line
Proscar (Finasteride) works great for crown balding, as long as you keep taking it.
- Helped regrow hair in 88% of men.
- Comes in a generic form.
- Is useful as a supplemental treatment to hair transplant surgery.
- Most side effects go away after your body gets used to Proscar (Finasteride).
- Helps shrink the prostate gland.
- Only good for the crown of the head. If you have a receding hairline, Proscar (Finasteride) may not work.
- If you stop taking it, you will lose the hair you grew while on it.
- You need to have your blood tested regularly for signs of prostate cancer while taking Proscar (Finasteride).
- Sexual side effects can continue after you stop taking Proscar (Finasteride).
- Should never be used by women or children.
Save on your next Proscar (Finasteride) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 1mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 1mg tablets of Proscar (Finasteride) at pharmacies
- $79.13New price:$12.66Save:84%
- Kroger Pharmacy$77.41New price:$13.16Save:83%
- Rite-Aid$93.14New price:$40.05Save:57%
- $75.04New price:$40.52Save:46%
- $76.32New price:$48.08Save:37%
What to expect when you take Proscar (Finasteride) for Male pattern baldnessSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take Proscar (Finasteride) at the same time every day, with or without food.
- Hang in there; it can take up to 3 months before you notice any improvement.
- You might have a loss of sexual desire or arousal in the beginning.
- It's normal to experience hair shedding in the first few months.
- Tell your doctor if you notice an unusual rash, swelling of the mouth, tightness in the chest, or trouble breathing.
- Using Nizoral shampoo with Proscar (Finasteride) greatly helps stop hair loss.
Side effects for Proscar (Finasteride)
From clinical trials of Propecia / Enlarged prostate (year 1 of treatment) (5 mg) ( 3040)
- ImpotenceImpotence8% for Propecia vs.4% for placebo
- Decreased libidoDecreased libido6% for Propecia vs.3% for placebo
- Decreased volume of ejaculateDecreased volume of ejaculate4% for Propecia vs.1% for placebo
- Ejaculation disorderEjaculation disorder1% for Propecia vs.0% for placebo
- Breast enlargementBreast enlargement1% for Propecia vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Propecia vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Breast tenderness
Risks and Warnings for Proscar (Finasteride)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Pregnant women should never handle crushed or broken tablets of Proscar (Finasteride) because it can cause really serious birth defects in babies.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Proscar (Finasteride)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take Proscar (Finasteride) at the same time every day, with or without food.
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Sexual side effects can continue after you stop taking Proscar (Finasteride).
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › You might have a loss of sexual desire or arousal in the beginning.
- Terrible sexual and lack of energy side effects. Still not recovered after four years.