Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Inderal (Propranolol) is good for treating many heart problems and other problems in the body, but it has more side effects than other beta blockers. You can't miss doses.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina).
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure, heart attack, heart valve disorders, and abnormal heart rhythm.
- Also treats and prevents many non-heart problems, such as tremors, anxiety, migraines, and liver disease symptoms.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Has more side effects than some beta blockers because it crosses into the brain and central nervous system.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease. As a second choice, your doctor might add it to medicines you're already taking if your blood pressure is still too high.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Propranolol suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Save on your next Inderal (Propranolol) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 10mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 10mg tablets of Inderal (Propranolol) at pharmacies
- Rite-Aid$19.35New price:$9.29Save52%
- $20.12New price:$10.06Save50%
- $19.59New price:$8.62Save56%
Side effects for Inderal (Propranolol)
From clinical trials of Propranolol / High blood pressure (Extended release capsule 80 mg) ( 177)
- DizzinessDizziness7% for Propranolol vs.2% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue5% for Propranolol vs.3% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation3% for Propranolol vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Inderal (Propranolol) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Can cause insomnia and fatigue.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar. Be careful if you're diabetic.
- Don't stop taking this medicine suddenly.
Risks and Warnings for Inderal (Propranolol)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Suddenly stopping Inderal (Propranolol)
Do not stop taking Inderal (Propranolol) suddenly without talking to your doctor as chest pain or angina may become increased. Stopping Inderal (Propranolol) suddenly may start a heart attack. Talk to your doctor if you are interested in stopping this medication.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Inderal (Propranolol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Since it slows my heart, calms anxiety & tremors-i wrongly assumed I should take it at night. Turns out-it affects sleep!!! Negatively, that is.Age: 33Gender: WomanTaken for: High blood pressure
- The first few weeks of taking it I would lay down and be gone in seconds. Some days depending on sleep and work I still do taking hat but some nights I can be up a few more hours than usual.Ex. 10-11 I take it. 1-2 I usually am out.Age: 19Gender: WomanTaken for: Migraine preventionDuration taken: Two years or more
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Cases of heart failure due to taking Inderal (Propranolol) have been reported. Tell your doctor if you noticed increased swelling around your legs or ankles, sudden weight gain or sudden shortness of breath as these may be symptoms of heart failure.