Improves prostate symptoms.
Our bottom line
Proscar (Finasteride) works well for mild to moderate symptoms of BPH. When men have more severe symptoms, it can be combined with doxazosin or other medicines for added benefits.
- It's an option for men who have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and either don’t want surgery or aren’t good candidates it.
- In studies, Proscar (Finasteride) improved BPH symptoms during the first year of taking it. This effect continued for another 5 years.
- Men taking Proscar (Finasteride) have less difficulty urinating and don't need BPH-related surgery as often as others.
- Can be combined with doxazosin, an alpha-adrenergic antagonist, if your symptoms are more severe. Using both together can improve symptoms and improve BPH symptoms.
- Women who can get pregnant shouldn’t handle broken tablets. Proscar (Finasteride) tablets are coated and prevent contact with the active medicine unless they split or break.
- You need to take Proscar (Finasteride) for at least 6 months before your prostate gets small enough for symptoms to improve.
- Can cause a rash, the inability to get an erection, low sex drive, and reduced amount of sperm.
- Proscar (Finasteride) can cause PSA levels to decrease to about 50% of what it was before you started the medication. This will be considered your new starting point for PSA testing and any PSA tests you have will be compared to this going forward.
Save on your next Proscar (Finasteride) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 5mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 5mg tablets of Proscar (Finasteride) at pharmacies
- $86.27New price:$9.49Save:89%
- Kroger Pharmacy$49.50New price:$10.89Save:78%
- $72.94New price:$13.13Save:82%
- Kmart$107.59New price:$18.29Save:83%
What to expect when you take Proscar (Finasteride)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take Proscar (Finasteride) once daily, about the same time each day, with or without food.
- Women who can get pregnant shouldn’t touch Proscar (Finasteride) tablets.
- If you’re taking Proscar (Finasteride) with doxazosin, you can take both at the same time or take the doxazosin closer to bedtime to avoid dizziness.
Side effects for Proscar (Finasteride)
From clinical trials of Proscar / Enlarged prostate (year 1 of treatment) (5 mg) ( 3040)
- ImpotenceImpotence8% for Proscar vs.4% for placebo
- Decreased libidoDecreased libido6% for Proscar vs.3% for placebo
- Decreased volume of ejaculateDecreased volume of ejaculate4% for Proscar vs.1% for placebo
- Ejaculation disorderEjaculation disorder1% for Proscar vs.0% for placebo
- Breast enlargementBreast enlargement1% for Proscar vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Proscar vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Breast tenderness
Risks and Warnings for Proscar (Finasteride)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Proscar (Finasteride) causes PSA levels to decrease to about 50% of what it was before you started in the first 6 months of treatment. This will be considered your new starting point for PSA testing and any PSA tests you have will be compared to this going forward. PSA levels should be doubled to compare to normal range in men treated with Proscar (Finasteride). Any increase in PSA while taking Proscar (Finasteride) may be a sign of prostate cancer and needs to be checked.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Proscar (Finasteride)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take Proscar (Finasteride) once daily, about the same time each day, with or without food.
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause a rash, the inability to get an erection, low sex drive, and reduced amount of sperm.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › It’s not that common, but some people had sexual side effects that continued after they stopped taking Proscar (Finasteride) for BPH. Side effects included problems with erection and orgasm, low sex drive, and reduced amount of sperm. It was more likely to happen in older men, taking medicines that have sexual side effects, and had conditions that cause sexual problems.
- I had a high sex drive prior to taking the medication. Now I could care less about sex. I am seriously considering stopping the medication.