Improves prostate symptoms.
Our bottom line
Proscar (Finasteride) works well for mild to moderate symptoms of BPH. When men have more severe symptoms, it can be combined with doxazosin or other medicines for added benefits.
- (30) 5mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 5mg tablets of Proscar (Finasteride) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$51.00New price:$8.67Save:83%
- $71.94New price:$12.95Save:82%
- $83.00New price:$17.43Save:79%
- $82.67New price:$27.28Save:67%
- Rite-Aid$95.89New price:$45.07Save:53%
- It's an option for men who have symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and either don’t want surgery or aren’t good candidates it.
- In studies, Proscar (Finasteride) improved BPH symptoms during the first year of taking it. This effect continued for another 5 years.
- Men taking Proscar (Finasteride) have less difficulty urinating and don't need BPH-related surgery as often as others.
- Can be combined with doxazosin, an alpha-adrenergic antagonist, if your symptoms are more severe. Using both together can improve symptoms and improve BPH symptoms.
- Women who can get pregnant shouldn’t handle broken tablets. Proscar (Finasteride) tablets are coated and prevent contact with the active medicine unless they split or break.
- You need to take Proscar (Finasteride) for at least 6 months before your prostate gets small enough for symptoms to improve.
- Can cause a rash, the inability to get an erection, low sex drive, and reduced amount of sperm.
- Proscar (Finasteride) can cause PSA levels to decrease to about 50% of what it was before you started the medication. This will be considered your new starting point for PSA testing and any PSA tests you have will be compared to this going forward.
Side effect rates for Proscar (Finasteride)
- Decreased libido
- Decreased volume of ejaculate
Risks and Warnings for Proscar (Finasteride)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
Proscar (Finasteride) causes PSA levels to decrease to about 50% of what it was before you started in the first 6 months of treatment. This will be considered your new starting point for PSA testing and any PSA tests you have will be compared to this going forward. PSA levels should be doubled to compare to normal range in men treated with Proscar (Finasteride). Any increase in PSA while taking Proscar (Finasteride) may be a sign of prostate cancer and needs to be checked.
Common concerns from people taking Proscar (Finasteride)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Proscar (Finasteride) is processed by the liver. If you have liver problems, you may need a different dose to prevent increased risk for side effects.