Treats moderate to severe eczema.
Our bottom line
Protopic (tacrolimus) is effective at treating eczema when other options haven’t helped, but its long-term effects on the body aren’t well known.
- Protopic (tacrolimus) is more effective than the similar medications.
- Protopic (tacrolimus) is stronger than some steroids, making it a good option if similar medications have not worked for you.
- Is not a first-line option for eczema due to the risk of cancer.
- Protopic (tacrolimus) can't be used if your immune system is weak (for example, if you have cancer or have been taking steroids for a long time).
- Not recommended to be used for a very long period of time. If you have to keep using Protopic (tacrolimus), your doctor will have you take breaks in-between.
Protopic (tacrolimus) is a topical calcineurin inhibitor. It works by blocking the inflammatory process, so your skin won’t react as much to irritants that make your eczema worse.
- Eczema (moderate to severe)
What to expect when you take Protopic (tacrolimus) for EczemaSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Protopic (tacrolimus)
- Skin burning
- Skin redness
- Flu-like symptoms
- Allergic reaction
- Skin infection
- Inflammation of the hair follicles
Risks and Warnings for Protopic (tacrolimus)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
There is rare chance that Protopic (tacrolimus) can cause skin and lymphoma cancer. You can help prevent this by using Protopic (tacrolimus) as directed, not for more than or longer than prescribed by your doctor. Try to keep Protopic (tacrolimus) only on the treatment areas and away from healthy skin.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Common concerns from people taking Protopic (tacrolimus)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Rarely, Protopic (tacrolimus) can cause sudden kidney failure. Speak to your doctor if you currently have kidney problems.