Improves mood and helps you relax.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Prozac (Fluoxetine) is good for treating depression and anxiety. It's more energizing than other antidepressants, but may not be the best choice for people who have trouble sleeping.
- Effective at relieving depression and anxiety symptoms.
- Lowers relapse rates of depression and bulimia nervosa.
- Causes less sleepiness than other antidepressants.
- It's more energizing than other antidepressants, so it's good for people who have low energy.
- It has been used to treat depression for a long time, so there's a lot of information available about how it works and how safe it is.
- Six out of ten people who use an antidepressant for the first time find that it works for them.
- Can cause sexual side effects like low libido and an inability to orgasm or ejaculate.
- Can increase feelings of anxiety or cause headaches during the first few weeks of taking it. These effects should go away over time.
- More likely than other antidepressants to interact with other medications you're taking.
- Like most antidepressants, it can cause a higher risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior for people younger than 24.
- The first antidepressant you try doesn't always work or it can cause side effects you really don't like. You might need to try a few different medications until you find one that works for you.
Save on your next Prozac (Fluoxetine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 20mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 20mg capsules of Prozac (Fluoxetine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$14.81New price:$4.00Save:73%
- $27.25New price:$7.63Save:72%
- $21.30New price:$12.99Save:39%
- $21.30New price:$12.99Save:39%
Side effects for Prozac (Fluoxetine)
From clinical trials of Prozac / Any condition
- Decreased libidoDecreased libido4% for Prozac vs.1% for placebo
What to expect when you take Prozac (Fluoxetine) for DepressionSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take in the morning with food to avoid side effects.
- Takes about 8 to 12 weeks to see the medication's full effects on your mood.
- Stop taking it slowly to avoid getting withdrawal symptoms.
- Tell your doctor if you notice sudden mood changes or unusual thoughts.
Risks and Warnings for Prozac (Fluoxetine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age 24 years or younger
Prozac (Fluoxetine) may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior. Watch for worsening depression or any unusual changes in mood or behavior, especially during the first few months of treatment or when the dose changes. Report anything concerning to a doctor immediately. Prozac (Fluoxetine) is not approved for use in children younger than age 18.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Prozac (Fluoxetine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- I have been taking this for anxiety, panic attacks and depression. The first 2 weeks were difficult but I have felt so much better since then. On days I forget to take my Fluoxetine I have headaches, feel exhausted or anxious and have difficulty sleeping. Side effects disappeared after first few weeks except for the yawning. Drinking alcohol while on these drugs made me feel unwell so I stopped drinking.Age: 29Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- Made me very sensitive to alcohol, could not drink while taking this med without causing a panic attack. Also made me get car sick all the time.Age: 21Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- It worked well. Mixing with alcohol intensifies affects and can be dangerous.Age: 20Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take in the morning with food to avoid side effects.
- Take it at the same time every day with food otherwise you could get stomach ache or heart burnAge: 17Gender: ManTaken for: Depression
- Take it with food or it'll make your appetite go away for hours.Age: 20Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- This is a great drug. However, it does not pick up the energy from food. I have to take super food as a supplement to get more energy from my food. Please improve this drug. Thanks, E. Benton, Chemical EngineerAge: 32Gender: WomanTaken for: DepressionDuration taken: Two years or more
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Can cause sexual side effects like low libido and an inability to orgasm or ejaculate.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Prozac (Fluoxetine) can cause lower sex drive or difficulty having an orgasm. If the problem persists after the first 2 to 3 months, you can talk to your doctor about alternative antidepressants or performance-enhancing medications.
- Low sex drive, no interest in doing things, mood swings..etc.Age: 23Gender: Woman
- Just started taking it. Much better than Zoloft. Zoloft made me a zombie. I can actually have an active life now that i switched to Prozac. Keeps me awake and no desire for sex, but that's OK for me! So far, so good.Age: 31Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- Lowers libido. Suppresses desire to drink alcoholic beverages. Caused significant tinnitus..Age: 60Gender: ManTaken for: Depression
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Stopping Prozac (Fluoxetine) suddenly may cause withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, anxiety, agitation, flu-like symptoms, trouble sleeping, and dizziness. Withdrawal symptoms usually occur within 3 days of stopping the medication, and go away within 1 to 2 weeks. Work with your doctor to gradually reduce your dose.
- It causes sleeping problems. Eventually they go away bAge: 18Gender: WomanTaken for: Bulimia nervosa
- At first it helped me with increased energy in the morning, but then it made me jittery within a couple of weeks and I went from sleeping lightly, to not sleeping well at all. Then about two hours after I took it, I would have a "panic attack" type feeling and get really jittery. My mood was great, I was definitely on a more even keel, but the side effects started becoming too bothersome.Age: 47Gender: WomanTaken for: Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- I started taking fluoxetine in December of 2016,10mg for 1 week, 20mg for 1 month and now 40mg. This medication make me really sleepy and drowsy so now I take probiotics which has really help so now I'm good!Age: 39Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- Can cause weight gain due to its use as a treatment for bulimia. The sexual side affects aren't completely limiting however keep in mind that while it may help those whom are over stimulated to calm down, it can cause extreme difficulty in maintaining an errection and interest, so your wife might get pissed.Age: 15Gender: ManTaken for: Depression
- When using Prozac I gained a lot of weight, I became very anxious and agitated . Even after stopping it these side effects are not going away..Age: 38Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression
- Still taking. Switched d/t weight gain with celexa and lexapro. Have lost 15 lbs already.Age: 23Gender: WomanTaken for: Depression