Prevents breathing problems.
Our bottom line
Qvar (Beclomethasone) is good at controlling and preventing asthma symptoms when you take it every day.
- Relieves symptoms and improves control of asthma.
- People report fewer asthma symptoms and better lung function when they take it every day.
- Inhaling this medicine (rather than taking an oral steroid) gets more into the lungs and less into rest of your body, which lowers the risk of side effects. Inhaled corticosteroids can be used safely for years compared to oral corticosteroids like prednisone.
- You have to use Qvar every day to control your symptoms.
- You can't lower the dose or stop taking it too suddenly.
- Steroids can slow height growth in kids.
- Because steroids suppress your immune system, you can catch bacterial and viral infections easier, and they can take longer to go away.
- Can cause new or worsening eye pressure, glaucoma, and cataracts.
Save on your next Qvar (Beclomethasone) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 8.7g of 80mcg inhaler
- Cost for (1) 8.7g of 80mcg inhaler of Qvar (Beclomethasone) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$237.03New price:$222.81Save:6%
- $242.43New price:$223.04Save:8%
- $272.08New price:$225.83Save:17%
- Rite-Aid$258.93New price:$227.86Save:12%
- $242.66New price:$230.53Save:5%
What to expect when you take Qvar (Beclomethasone)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Use daily to control your asthma symptoms.
- Starts working the same day, but it can take up 1 to 2 weeks to feel the full effects.
- Pump the inhaler 2 times before inhaling the first dose, or if it's been more than 10 days since your last dose.
- Wait one minute between doses.
- Rinse your mouth out with water after each use.
- Clean the mouthpiece with dry cloth once a week.
- Talk to your doctor if asthma symptoms don't get better.
Side effects for Qvar (Beclomethasone)
From clinical trials of Qvar / Asthma (320 mcg) ( 624)
- Upper respitory tract infectionUpper respitory tract infection11% for Qvar vs.11% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache8% for Qvar vs.9% for placebo
- Sore throatSore throat5% for Qvar vs.4% for placebo
- Increased asthma symptomsIncreased asthma symptoms4% for Qvar vs.18% for placebo
- Inflammation inside the noseInflammation inside the nose3% for Qvar vs.9% for placebo
- Oral symptoms inhalation routeOral symptoms inhalation route3% for Qvar vs.2% for placebo
- Sinus inflammationSinus inflammation3% for Qvar vs.2% for placebo
- PainPain2% for Qvar vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea1% for Qvar vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Back pain
- Speech disorder
Risks and Warnings for Qvar (Beclomethasone)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Lowering dose or stopping too quickly especially after long-term treatment
- › Stress such as trauma, surgery or infection
Adrenal suppression can occur if you lower your dose or stop taking Qvar (Beclomethasone) too quickly. Symptoms include joint or muscle pain, extreme low energy and depression. Changes in your medication need to be done slowly and over time. Talk to your doctor before you decrease or stop Qvar (Beclomethasone).