Breaks up mucus that causes cough.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Robitussin (Guaifenesin) is a useful medicine for loosening congestion in your chest and throat, but it doesn't last as long as other guaifenesin products.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) reduces the thickness and amount of mucus in your throat and chest.
- It’s available at the drugstore either by itself or in combination with other medications to treat cold and flu symptoms.
- Available in multiple forms.
- Can be used in children 12 years and older.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) doesn't last as long as other products that contain guaifenesin. Mucinex's extended release form lasts 12 hours and Robitussin (Guaifenesin)'s lasts 8 hours.
- You need to drink a lot of fluids while taking this medication or it won't work as well.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) isn’t useful if you have a dry cough.
- Can cause nausea, headache, and an upset stomach.
Save on your next Robitussin (Guaifenesin) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (118) 237ml bottle of oral liquid
- Cost for (118) 237ml bottle of oral liquid of Robitussin (Guaifenesin) at pharmacies
- Sams Club
- Kroger Pharmacy
- $175.00New price:$168.00Save4%
- $216.00New price:$207.36Save4%
Side effects for Robitussin (Guaifenesin)
What to expect when you take Robitussin (Guaifenesin)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Drink plenty of fluids while taking Robitussin (Guaifenesin) because liquid helps break down mucus.
- Steam from a humidifier, cool mist vaporizer, or hot shower can also help add moisture to your airways.
- Follow age-specific dosing instructions on how much to take.
- If your cough lasts more than 7 days, call your doctor.
- Robitussin (Guaifenesin) only works for coughs with mucus, so don't use it if you have a dry cough.
Risks and Warnings for Robitussin (Guaifenesin)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Some people taking Robitussin (Guaifenesin) have reported nausea and vomiting. This is very rare and usually not serious. However, if you develop a fever with the nausea and vomiting, then talk to your doctor right away.