Helps get things moving and softens things up.
Our bottom line
Senna and docusate join forces to create Senna-S (Docusate / Senna), a vegetable-based laxative that gently relieves constipation.
- The combination of a laxative and stool softener might work better for people with constipation caused by medicines.
- The laxative in Docusate/Senna was used over 3,500 years ago, so it's been around for a while.
- Docusate/Senna is clinically proven to relieve constipation from a variety of causes.
- One of the few laxative/stool-softener combinations that can be given to children 2 and older.
- It may not work for everyone, but people felt it was worth the hassle.
- Most people felt that it's not the most effective laxative out there, but they could deal with the hassle and it worked pretty well.
- Docusate/Senna can cause cramping or the feeling that you "have to go right now".
Senna-S (Docusate / Senna) is a combination medicine. Docusate is a stool softener, and Senna is a stimulant laxative. These two ingredients work together to make stools easier to pass.
Side effect rates for Senna-S (docusate / senna)
Risks and Warnings for Senna-S (docusate / senna)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age 60 or older
- › Malignancy
- › Other condition that causes blockage or narrowing of bowel
- › Taking medications that cause constipation
Stop taking Senna-S (Docusate / Senna) and call your doctor right away if you have nausea, vomiting, pain or bulging in your belly that doesn't go away, have rectal bleeding, and no bowel movement after taking. These may be symptoms of a bowel blockage (bowel obstruction) which is serious.
Common concerns from people taking Senna-S (docusate / senna)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Talk to you doctor about eating certain foods and getting more exercise to help prevent your constipation.
- Ask your doctor before taking Docusate/Senna if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or had sudden changes in your stool for more than 2 weeks.