Relaxes your muscles.
Our bottom line
Soma (carisoprodol) is used for muscle spasms and muscle pain but it's not considered a first-choice treatment and not meant for long-term therapy.
- Patients treated with Soma (carisoprodol) experienced improvement in function.
- Available in generic.
- Available in two different strengths.
- Not first choice for treating muscle spasms or muscle pain, because it can cause dependence.
- Can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Not meant for long-term therapy, because it hasn't been shown to be effective after taking it for a short period.
- Can cause withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly.
Soma (carisoprodol) is a muscle relaxant. It works in the brain to help calm down muscle spasms.
What to expect when you take Soma (carisoprodol) for Acute muscle painSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
Side effect rates for Soma (carisoprodol)
Risks and Warnings for Soma (carisoprodol)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking other medications that also cause sleepiness
- › Recreational drug use
- › Excessive alcohol use
- › Elderly
Taking Soma (carisoprodol) can make you feel sleepy and dizzy. Avoid driving or doing other tasks that require concentration until you know how this medication affects you. Get up very slowly from a seated or lying down position.
Common concerns from people taking Soma (carisoprodol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Don't drink alcohol while on this medication.
- I've had severe nerve pain from a spinal cord injury for 30 years with muscle spasms and a lot of tension, tight muscles. This helped with the tension and spasms, helped me relax and rest. Great medication!No side effects except drowsiness,which actually helped me.
- Great for bedtime pain.
- I LOVED this muscle relaxer and have been taking it for YEARS but am having trouble finding a pain management doctor who will prescribe it for me or allow me to even have it prescribed for me by my primary physician. I can't seem to find a comparable one. :/
- does cause drowsiness
- I take 1/2 of a 350mg tab when I'm unable to sleep due to wrenching back spasms and pain. Within 20-30 mins after taking Soma I fall asleep and have a sound rest.Taking a whole tab is a bit too strong for me. I don't take this pill on a regular nightly basis but rather use it as a last alternative. Sadly my MD will not prescribe it for me anymore. He put me on Flexeril and that med is simply awful! It's way too sedating with melancholic side effects. Soma worked so well.