Relaxes your muscles.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Soma (Carisoprodol) is widely used to treat muscle spasms and is available as a generic, but it's not considered a first-choice treatment for muscle spasms. It's also not meant for long-term therapy.
- Available in generic.
- Available in two different strengths, although the smaller strength is only available as brand name and thus more expensive.
- Not first line for treating muscle spasms.
- Can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Not meant for long term therapy.
- Can cause dependence and withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly.
Save on your next Soma (Carisoprodol) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (90) 350mg tablet
- Cost for (90) 350mg tablets of Soma (Carisoprodol) at pharmacies
- $38.55New price:$12.72Save:67%
- Kroger Pharmacy$51.20New price:$12.80Save:75%
- $48.66New price:$18.49Save:62%
Side effects for Soma (Carisoprodol)
From clinical trials of Soma / Acute back pain (250 mg) ( 1108)
- DrowsinessDrowsiness13% for Soma vs.6% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness8% for Soma vs.2% for placebo
- HedacheHedache5% for Soma vs.2% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect2% for Soma vs.3% for placebo
What to expect when you take Soma (Carisoprodol)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness, fatigue, and sleepiness.
- Take the medication at the same time each day.
- Not to be used for long-term treatment (2 to 3 weeks maximum)
- Don't drink alcohol while on this medication.
- Can cause stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.
Risks and Warnings for Soma (Carisoprodol)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking other medications that also cause sleepiness
- › Recreational drug use
- › Excessive alcohol use
Taking Soma (Carisoprodol) can make you feel sleepy and dizzy, especially if you're taking other medications that can also make you feel sleepy, or if you're taking recreational drugs or drinking too much alcohol. Avoid driving or doing other tasks that require concentration until you know how this medication affects you. Get up very slowly from a seated or lying down position.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Soma (Carisoprodol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't drink alcohol while on this medication.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Taking Soma (Carisoprodol) can make you feel sleepy and dizzy, especially if you're taking other medications that can also make you feel sleepy, or if you're taking recreational drugs or drinking too much alcohol. Avoid driving or doing other tasks that require concentration until you know how this medication affects you. Get up very slowly from a seated or lying down position.
- › There have been reports of seizures in people taking Soma (Carisoprodol). However, this has been rare and only reported in people who were also overdosing on other medications, recreational drugs or alcohol.
- I've had severe nerve pain from a spinal cord injury for 30 years with muscle spasms and a lot of tension, tight muscles. This helped with the tension and spasms, helped me relax and rest. Great medication!No side effects except drowsiness,which actually helped me.Age: 45Gender: WomanTaken for: Muscle spasm
- I take 1/2 of a 350mg tab when I'm unable to sleep due to wrenching back spasms and pain. Within 20-30 mins after taking Soma I fall asleep and have a sound rest.Taking a whole tab is a bit too strong for me. I don't take this pill on a regular nightly basis but rather use it as a last alternative. Sadly my MD will not prescribe it for me anymore. He put me on Flexeril and that med is simply awful! It's way too sedating with melancholic side effects. Soma worked so well.Age: 62Gender: WomanTaken for: Muscle spasm
- does cause drowsinessAge: 41Gender: WomanTaken for: Muscle spasm