Relaxes your muscles.
Our bottom line
Soma (Carisoprodol) is widely used to treat muscle spasms and is available as a generic, but it's not considered a first-choice treatment for muscle spasms. It's also not meant for long-term therapy.
- Available in generic.
- Available in two different strengths, although the smaller strength is only available as brand name and thus more expensive.
- Not first line for treating muscle spasms.
- Can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Not meant for long term therapy.
- Can cause dependence and withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it suddenly.
Soma (Carisoprodol) is a muscle relaxant. It works in the brain to help calm down muscle spasms.
Side effect rates for Soma (carisoprodol)
- Any side effect
Risks and Warnings for Soma (carisoprodol)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking other medications that also cause sleepiness
- › Recreational drug use
- › Excessive alcohol use
Taking Soma (Carisoprodol) can make you feel sleepy and dizzy, especially if you're taking other medications that can also make you feel sleepy, or if you're taking recreational drugs or drinking too much alcohol. Avoid driving or doing other tasks that require concentration until you know how this medication affects you. Get up very slowly from a seated or lying down position.
Common concerns from people taking Soma (carisoprodol)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Don't drink alcohol while on this medication.
- Can cause stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.
- I've had severe nerve pain from a spinal cord injury for 30 years with muscle spasms and a lot of tension, tight muscles. This helped with the tension and spasms, helped me relax and rest. Great medication!No side effects except drowsiness,which actually helped me.
- does cause drowsiness
- I take 1/2 of a 350mg tab when I'm unable to sleep due to wrenching back spasms and pain. Within 20-30 mins after taking Soma I fall asleep and have a sound rest.Taking a whole tab is a bit too strong for me. I don't take this pill on a regular nightly basis but rather use it as a last alternative. Sadly my MD will not prescribe it for me anymore. He put me on Flexeril and that med is simply awful! It's way too sedating with melancholic side effects. Soma worked so well.