Treats hepatitis C infection.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) is an effective medicine to treat chronic hepatitis C infection, but it can be expensive.
- Most people who take Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) together with other antiviral medicines have good results, with no HCV found in their blood three months later.
- Can take Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) for a shorter amount of time than other hepatitis C medications.
- Effective in people who have both hepatitis C and HIV infection, liver cancer, or who are waiting for a liver transplant.
- Women shouldn't become pregnant while taking HCV medications and will need to take monthly pregnancy tests while on this.
- Requires routine blood tests to check liver function.
- There are many interactions between Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) and other drugs and herbal supplements. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before starting new medications.
- Can only be used in people age 18 years and older.
- There's no generic available, so it can be very expensive.
Save on your next Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (28) 400mg tablet
- Cost for (28) 400mg tablets of Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) at pharmacies
Side effects for Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir)
What to expect when you take Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) shouldn't be taken by itself. It should be used with antiviral medications like Ribavirin, and for some people, Peginterferon Alfa. You should stop taking Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) if you stop taking the other antiviral medicines.
- The other antiviral medicines taken with Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) can cause birth defects. Both women and men must use two forms of contraception during treatment and for 6 months after.
- Depending on the type of hepatitis C infection, you'll take Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) for either 12 or 24 weeks. Don't stop early or make any changes without first talking to your doctor.
- Can be taken with or without food. Try to take Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) around the same time each day. Don't take more than 1 tablet a day.
Risks and Warnings for Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Women of childbearing age
The medicines taken together with Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) can cause birth defects. Both women and men must use two forms of effective contraception during treatment and for six months after.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Can be taken with or without food. Try to take Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) around the same time each day. Don't take more than 1 tablet a day.