Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Strattera (Atomoxetine) isn't considered a first-line medication for ADHD, but since it isn't a stimulant, it's still highly recommended.
- One of the few medications used to treat ADHD that's not a stimulant.
- It isn't a controlled substance.
- Strattera (Atomoxetine) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- You usually only need to take it once a day.
- It's a second-line medication used to treat ADHD. Other medications are usually tried first.
- It's only available as a brand name medication, so it can be expensive.
Save on your next Strattera (Atomoxetine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- Cost of (30) 40mg capsules of Strattera (Atomoxetine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$2730.67New price:$2321.07Save15%
- $2468.24New price:$2048.64Save17%
- Sams Club
- $2809.53New price:$2388.10Save15%
Side effects for Strattera (Atomoxetine)
From clinical trials of Strattera / ADHD (Adults) ( 3257)
- NauseaNausea26% for Strattera vs.6% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth20% for Strattera vs.5% for placebo
- Decreased appetiteDecreased appetite16% for Strattera vs.3% for placebo
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty15% for Strattera vs.8% for placebo
- Changes in heart rate or blood pressureChanges in heart rate or blood pressure10% for Strattera vs.0% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue10% for Strattera vs.6% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness8% for Strattera vs.3% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness8% for Strattera vs.5% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation8% for Strattera vs.3% for placebo
- ImpotenceImpotence8% for Strattera vs.1% for placebo
What to expect when you start Strattera (Atomoxetine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- It can cause changes in sex drive.
- Can raise your blood pressure and pulse, so it's not safe for people with heart problems.
- It can also cause changes in your mood.
- Take it at the same time every day.
- Common side effects include decreased appetite, nausea, and constipation.
- The capsules can't be opened and need to be swallowed whole.
Risks and Warnings for Strattera (Atomoxetine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age below 18
Children and adolescents on Strattera (Atomoxetine) may be at higher risk to attempt suicide. If you notice worsening changes in your child's behavior or wants to hurt himself or herself, talk to your doctor immediately.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Strattera (Atomoxetine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take it with 'heavy' food with a lot of fat and protein to avoid nauseaAge: 20Gender: manTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: two years or more
- Take it in the morning, make sure you have a meal. Don't forget it.Age: 22Gender: manTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: a year or so
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › It can cause changes in sex drive.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › There have been reports of men having an erection lasting more than 4 hours while on Strattera (Atomoxetine). This has been rare. If not treated in time, this can cause permanent damage to your penis, including impotence. Talk to your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room if this happens.
- Been on Strattera for 5 months now. Started on 40mg then went to 80mg. Switched from taking in morning to night because of it made me tired. Now I'm not as tired throughout the day, but I hardly sleep at all not. Have not really seen a diffAge: 25Gender: womanDuration taken: a few months
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Appetite suppression may occur. In clinical studies, long-term treatment with stimulants similar to Strattera (Atomoxetine) caused a temporary slowing of growth rate (both height and weight) in children who started the medication before they started puberty. Doctors should monitor children's growth during treatment.