Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our bottom line
Strattera (Atomoxetine) isn't considered a first-line medication for ADHD, but since it isn't a stimulant, it's still highly recommended.
- One of the few medications used to treat ADHD that's not a stimulant.
- It isn't a controlled substance.
- Strattera (Atomoxetine) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- You usually only need to take it once a day.
- It's a second-line medication used to treat ADHD. Other medications are usually tried first.
- It's only available as a brand name medication, so it can be expensive.
Save on your next Strattera (Atomoxetine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 40mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 40mg capsules of Strattera (Atomoxetine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$485.80New price:$446.94Save:8%
- $497.59New price:$447.83Save:10%
- $526.28New price:$452.60Save:14%
- Rite-Aid$527.10New price:$458.58Save:13%
- $498.91New price:$459.00Save:8%
What to expect when you take Strattera (Atomoxetine) for Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- It can cause changes in sex drive.
- Can raise your blood pressure and pulse, so it's not safe for people with heart problems.
- It can also cause changes in your mood.
- Take it at the same time every day.
- Common side effects include decreased appetite, nausea, and constipation.
- The capsules can't be opened and need to be swallowed whole.
Side effects for Strattera (Atomoxetine)
From clinical trials of Strattera / ADHD (Adults) ( 3257)
- NauseaNausea26% for Strattera vs.6% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth20% for Strattera vs.5% for placebo
- Decreased appetiteDecreased appetite16% for Strattera vs.3% for placebo
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty15% for Strattera vs.8% for placebo
- Changes in heart rate or blood pressureChanges in heart rate or blood pressure10% for Strattera vs.0% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue10% for Strattera vs.6% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness8% for Strattera vs.3% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness8% for Strattera vs.5% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation8% for Strattera vs.3% for placebo
- ImpotenceImpotence8% for Strattera vs.1% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Strattera (Atomoxetine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Age below 18
Children and adolescents on Strattera (Atomoxetine) may be at higher risk to attempt suicide. If you notice worsening changes in your child's behavior or wants to hurt himself or herself, talk to your doctor immediately.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Strattera (Atomoxetine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Take it with 'heavy' food with a lot of fat and protein to avoid nausea
- Take it in the morning, make sure you have a meal. Don't forget it.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › It can cause changes in sex drive.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › There have been reports of men having an erection lasting more than 4 hours while on Strattera (Atomoxetine). This has been rare. If not treated in time, this can cause permanent damage to your penis, including impotence. Talk to your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room if this happens.
- Can't get a full erection, ejaculation is painful - like getting kicked. Episodic lethargy and almost complete emotional suppression. Nausea, headaches, dizziness. Not nice.
- The medication does well if you are combined with anxiety, panic or depression. For women there are decreased sexual interest (that you may not notice while you're busy getting things done!) During sex, less intense or no orgasm, with pressure in lower abdomen subsiding after a while (basically build up with no boom!)
- This may exacerbate my sleep problems due to restless leg syndrome
- Been on Strattera for 5 months now. Started on 40mg then went to 80mg. Switched from taking in morning to night because of it made me tired. Now I'm not as tired throughout the day, but I hardly sleep at all not. Have not really seen a diff
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Appetite suppression may occur. In clinical studies, long-term treatment with stimulants similar to Strattera (Atomoxetine) caused a temporary slowing of growth rate (both height and weight) in children who started the medication before they started puberty. Doctors should monitor children's growth during treatment.