Prevents seizures, stabilizes mood, and relieves nerve pain.
Our bottom line
Tegretol (Carbamazepine) is useful for preventing seizures and relieving certain types of nerve pain, but interacts with many drugs.
- Lowers the frequency of seizures, especially for people with tonic-clonic and partial seizures.
- First-line option for trigeminal neuralgia (nerve pain involving the face, head, and neck), and can relieve other types of nerve pain.
- May be helpful in stabilizing mood for people with bipolar disorder.
- Interacts with many other medicines and supplements.
- Higher risk of skin reactions compared to other antiepileptic medicines, ranging from mild to life-threatening rash.
- Can cause blurry vision, dizziness, and upset stomach.
- Not safe to use if you're pregnant.
- Requires routine blood tests to see how the medicine is affecting your body.
Save on your next Tegretol (Carbamazepine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 200mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 200mg tablets of Tegretol (Carbamazepine) at pharmacies
- $65.00New price:$14.95Save:77%
- $62.29New price:$14.95Save:76%
- $65.89New price:$17.79Save:73%
What to expect when you take Tegretol (Carbamazepine) for EpilepsySkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- For the first week, avoid activities that require you to be alert.
- Report skin rashes or blistering immediately.
- Don't use if pregnant.
- Requires routine blood tests.
- Report confusion, persistent abdominal pain, yellowing of eyes/skin, or easy bruising to your doctor.
- Takes up to 5 weeks to feel full effects on mood.
Side effects for Tegretol (Carbamazepine)
From clinical trials of Tegretol / Bipolar I disorder (400mg-1600mg per day) ( 499)
- DizzinessDizziness44% for Tegretol vs.12% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness32% for Tegretol vs.13% for placebo
- NauseaNausea28% for Tegretol vs.10% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting18% for Tegretol vs.3% for placebo
- Lack of muscle coordinationLack of muscle coordination15% for Tegretol vs.0% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation10% for Tegretol vs.5% for placebo
- ItchingItching8% for Tegretol vs.2% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth8% for Tegretol vs.3% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness8% for Tegretol vs.4% for placebo
- RashRash7% for Tegretol vs.4% for placebo
Risks and Warnings for Tegretol (Carbamazepine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › People also taking Depakote
- › Asian ancestry
Rarely, Tegretol (Carbamazepine) can cause a serious or life-threatening skin rash. The risk is higher for people who are also taking Depakote. If you are of Asian descent, you may need a genetic test to find out if you have a gene that causes increased risk. Report any skin rashes to a doctor immediately.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.