Treats ADHD and lowers blood pressure.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Tenex (Guanfacine) can be used to treat both blood pressure and ADHD, but it's not recommended as a first-line treatment for either problem.
- The same medication treats two different things, high blood pressure and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- It's not a "controlled medication".
- Used to control ADHD when stimulant medications haven't worked or can't be used due to other medical problems.
- Available as a generic medication, so it should be more affordable than other options.
- Doesn't control ADHD as well as stimulants do, so it's used as a second-line medication.
- Not a preferred drug to control blood pressure.
- Can't be stopped suddenly, especially for blood pressure, since the blood pressure can dramatically increase.
Save on your next Tenex (Guanfacine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 1mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 1mg tablets of Tenex (Guanfacine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$13.00New price:$6.50Save50%
- Sams Club
- $16.16New price:$7.11Save56%
- Rite-Aid$62.57New price:$45.05Save28%
Side effects for Tenex (Guanfacine)
From clinical trials of Tenex / HIgh blood pressure (1 mg) ( 120)
- Dry mouthDry mouth10% for Tenex vs.0% for placebo
- DrowsinessDrowsiness10% for Tenex vs.8% for placebo
- HeadacheHeadache7% for Tenex vs.8% for placebo
- FatigueFatigue5% for Tenex vs.2% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect5% for Tenex vs.0% for placebo
- Muscle weaknessMuscle weakness3% for Tenex vs.0% for placebo
- DizzinessDizziness2% for Tenex vs.8% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
What to expect when you take Tenex (Guanfacine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Don't stop taking Tenex (Guanfacine) without talking to your doctor first.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink while taking this.
- Drink plenty of liquids and don't get overheated while taking Tenex (Guanfacine).
- You can feel sleepy the first few times you take it, or when your dose is increased. Don't drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how the medication affects your body.
- Can take up to 2 weeks for the maximum effect.
Risks and Warnings for Tenex (Guanfacine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking other medications that cause sedation or sleepiness
People report having sleepiness or sedation while on Tenex (Guanfacine). You're at higher risk for this if you're taking other medications that have similar effects. Don't drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how Tenex (Guanfacine) affects you.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Tenex (Guanfacine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Limit the amount of alcohol you drink while taking this.
- This was prescribed for my son when he was about 8-10years old for Tourettes and with the thought it would supplement is ADHD med. It didn't seem effective for either for him. He was drowsy with this med.Age: 50Gender: WomanTaken for: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- My son takes it in the evening. Seems to help him sleep and lessens the frequency of night terrors. Daytime he is more focused and has less frequent/severe behaviours.Age: 7Gender: ManTaken for: Autism and ADHDDuration taken: A year or so