Treats fungal infections.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Lamisil (Terbinafine) has the highest cure rate of all antifungal medications, but you need to take it for a few weeks or months to see if it'll work for you.
- Recommended as a first-choice treatment for fungal infections. It has a high cure rate and very few side effects.
- Available as a generic medication, so it's cheap.
- It's the only antifungal medication that is available in different oral forms and can be used by children.
- It can take weeks to months to see any changes in the infection.
- While Lamisil (Terbinafine) has the highest cure rate of all antifungal medications, there's still a chance it may not work.
- Can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Save on your next Lamisil (Terbinafine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 250mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 250mg tablets of Lamisil (Terbinafine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$23.97New price:$7.43Save:69%
- $30.13New price:$11.75Save:61%
- $67.00New price:$14.74Save:78%
- Kmart$458.75New price:$18.35Save:96%
Side effects for Lamisil (Terbinafine)
From clinical trials of Terbinafine / Nail fungal infection (250 mg) ( 602)
- HeadacheHeadache13% for Terbinafine vs.10% for placebo
- RashRash6% for Terbinafine vs.2% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea6% for Terbinafine vs.3% for placebo
- IndigestionIndigestion4% for Terbinafine vs.3% for placebo
- NauseaNausea3% for Terbinafine vs.3% for placebo
- Liver enzyme abnormalitiesLiver enzyme abnormalities3% for Terbinafine vs.1% for placebo
- ItchingItching3% for Terbinafine vs.2% for placebo
- Taste disturbanceTaste disturbance3% for Terbinafine vs.1% for placebo
- Passing gasPassing gas2% for Terbinafine vs.2% for placebo
- Abdominal painAbdominal pain2% for Terbinafine vs.2% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abdominal pain
- Liver enzyme abnormalities
- Passing gas
- Taste disturbance
What to expect when you take Lamisil (Terbinafine)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- It can take a few months for improvements to be seen, especially for finger and toenail infections.
- You can be more likely to get a sunburn, so put on sunblock when you go outside.
- If you're taking the oral granules, mix them in a spoonful of mashed potatoes or pudding, and then swallow it whole without chewing. Don't use fruit-based soft foods.
- Your doctor will have you get regular blood work done to make sure Lamisil (Terbinafine) isn't causing side effects.
- If you forget your daily dose, take it as soon as you remember, unless it's less than 4 hours to your next dose, then skip it. Don't take two doses at once.
Risks and Warnings for Lamisil (Terbinafine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Past history of liver disease
- › Taking Lamisil (Terbinafine) by mouth
There have been reports of liver damage in people taking Lamisil (Terbinafine). Your doctor will do some blood tests to make sure you don't have liver damage before taking this medication. Call your doctor immediately if you have pain in your abdomen, yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes, have dark urine, or light colored stool. All of these can be signs of changes to your liver.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Lamisil (Terbinafine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › If you're taking the oral granules, mix them in a spoonful of mashed potatoes or pudding, and then swallow it whole without chewing. Don't use fruit-based soft foods.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › People taking Lamisil (Terbinafine) have reported changes in the way food tastes and how things smell. This can be permanent if the medication's not stopped in time, but this is also very rare.