Lowers blood pressure and controls heart rate.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) is good for controlling chest pain and treating heart failure and heart attack. You can't miss doses.
- A first-choice treatment to prevent chest pain (angina). Makes pain attacks less frequent and makes it easier to be active without having chest pain.
- A first-choice treatment for heart failure. May prevent long-term heart damage.
- A first-choice treatment for heart attack. Lowers the risk of death during and after a heart attack.
- Toprol XL is the extended release version of Lopressor.
- Taking a beta blocker might make you feel more tired or out of breath during exercise or normal daily routines. This gets better for most people, but for some might not go away.
- Not a first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have heart failure or heart disease.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar if you're diabetic.
- You can't miss doses. Stopping Toprol XL suddenly can cause your blood pressure to go up suddenly, which raises the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Save on your next Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 25mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 25mg tablets of Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) at pharmacies
- $23.26New price:$7.91Save66%
- Kroger Pharmacy$40.33New price:$23.39Save42%
- $32.34New price:$15.20Save53%
- $32.96New price:$15.82Save52%
- $34.56New price:$16.59Save52%
Side effects for Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
What to expect when you take Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) for Lowers blood pressureSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Can cause dizziness in the first few days.
- Check your blood pressure 1 week after starting this medicine, and tell your doctor if it hasn't improved.
- Can cause fatigue and headache.
- Can hide symptoms of low blood sugar. Be careful if you're diabetic.
- Don't stop taking this medicine suddenly.
- Extended release version. Also comes in immediate release called Lopressor (metoprolol tartrate).
Risks and Warnings for Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Diabetes
Patients on Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate) who are also diabetic may not recognize symptoms of low blood sugar, except for sweating and dizziness. Talk to your doctor about when to monitor your blood sugar if you are started on Toprol Xl (Metoprolol Succinate).