Treats viral infections.
Skip Upsides & Downsides section. Skip to side effects section.
Our bottom line
Valtrex (Valacyclovir) is good for treating viral infections like herpes, chickenpox, and shingles. It won't cure the disease, but it'll shorten the length of a breakout.
Price and discounts
- (30) 1g tablet
- Cost for (30) 1g tablets of Valtrex (Valacyclovir) at pharmacies
- $245.42New price:$29.45Save:88%
- Kroger Pharmacy$115.67New price:$31.23Save:73%
- $326.77New price:$143.78Save:56%
- Used as a first-choice treatment for herpes, chickenpox, and shingles infections and breakouts.
- Most people (including pregnant women) usually take the oral medication without experiencing any side effects.
- Available as a generic, so it's relatively cheap.
- Most people generally don't develop a resistance to Valtrex (Valacyclovir).
- Works well for most people to shorten the duration of outbreaks.
- You don't have to take this as often as other antiviral medications.
- Valtrex (Valacyclovir) is not a cure for herpes, chickenpox, or shingles. It will only shorten the time you have a breakout.
- If you're taking Valtrex (Valacyclovir) for herpes, you should use barrier methods (condoms) when you're having sex since you can still pass it on to other people, even if you're taking the medication and you're not in a breakout.
Skip side effects section. Skip to What to Expect and Pharmacists Tips section.
Side effect rates for Valtrex (Valacyclovir)
1218 From clinical trials of Valtrex / Cold sores (2 g)
- Abnormal alt
Risks and Warnings for Valtrex (Valacyclovir)Skip risks section. Skip to common concerns section.
There have been reports of people on Valtrex (Valacyclovir) who have had serious kidney damage. This is very rare. You'll want to drink plenty of fluids while you're on Valtrex (Valacyclovir).
Common concerns from people taking Valtrex (Valacyclovir)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Works excellent at suppressing virus. If you miss a dose or drink heavily you may have an outbreak. I have taken for 15+ years. Very seldom get headache as side effect.
- I have had Herpes Simplex I for over 50 years and not until I took Valacyclovir HCL was my condition ever in control. I have tried going off this medication and I immediately break-out. So now I am taking 1/2 of a 500 mg dose daily. This medication works for me, no side effects either.
- taken with food but not necessary. I increase dosage to treat Herpes Zoster when I feel it coming on
Kidneys and liver
- There have been reports of people on Valtrex (Valacyclovir) who have had serious kidney damage. This is very rare. You'll want to drink plenty of fluids while you're on Valtrex (Valacyclovir).
- Stay away if you have kidney problems or tummy troubles