Lowers your blood sugar.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Victoza (Liraglutide) helps lower blood sugar for people with diabetes and causes weight loss, but it has to be given by injection and many people have upset stomach.
- Lowers A1c levels by 1% (A1c measures your average blood sugar over time.)
- Prevents the harmful effects of high sugar levels on your organs.
- Taken only once a day compared to similar medications that have to be taken more often.
- Weight loss is a common side effect.
- Helps lower your blood sugar in combination with other medications when other medications alone aren’t working.
- Only lowers A1c levels by 1%, which may not be enough to get your blood sugar in the safe range.
- Only available as an injectable medication; other diabetes medications can be taken by mouth.
- Up to a third of people taking Victoza (Liraglutide) have upset stomach, and side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, or indigestion.
- Other diabetes medications work as well and are cheaper.
- Not considered the best first choice drug to help lower blood sugar.
Save on your next Victoza (Liraglutide) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (1) 3 pens of 18mg/3ml carton
- Cost for (1) 3 pens of 18mg/3ml carton of Victoza (Liraglutide) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$896.91New price:$771.34Save:14%
- $899.05New price:$773.18Save:14%
- Kmart$1035.03New price:$776.27Save:25%
- $902.87New price:$776.47Save:14%
- $1041.08New price:$780.81Save:25%
Side effects for Victoza (Liraglutide)
From clinical trials of Victoza / Type 2 diabetes ( 530)
- NauseaNausea35% for Victoza vs.9% for placebo
- NauseaNausea28% for Victoza vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea26% for Victoza vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea17% for Victoza vs.0% for placebo
- NauseaNausea15% for Victoza vs.4% for placebo
- NauseaNausea14% for Victoza vs.4% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea14% for Victoza vs.6% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting12% for Victoza vs.3% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea12% for Victoza vs.0% for placebo
- VomitingVomiting11% for Victoza vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Victoza (Liraglutide)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Store in the refrigerator until opening.
- Give injections in your belly, thighs, or upper arm.
- Change the needle every time you inject.
- It’s not safe to share this medication with other people, even if you change the needle.
- Don’t mix with insulin; always give yourself separate injections. Can be given at the same time as insulin, but in different injection areas.
- Eat regular, balanced meals to avoid low blood sugar.
- It's best to check your blood sugar at least once a day using a home blood sugar monitor to make sure your medication is working and is safe. Some people may need to test more often, ask your doctor.
Risks and Warnings for Victoza (Liraglutide)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
There have been reports in clinical studies of rats and mice having increased risk of thyroid tumors. While it's not clear if this could happen in humans, if you or your family have had a history of medullary thyroid carcinoma, your doctor will recommend alternates. Call your doctor if you notice a lump in the neck, trouble breathing or swallowing, or hoarseness.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Victoza (Liraglutide)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Eat regular, balanced meals to avoid low blood sugar.
- Stay away from fatty foods.Age: 55Gender: WomanTaken for: Type 2 diabetes
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › There have been reports of people having kidney damage or failure while on Victoza (Liraglutide), usually when they've also had diarrhea, vomiting or nausea. Stay hydrated to prevent this from happening, or call your doctor if you're suddenly unable to urinate or the amount of urine you pass is decreased.
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Weight loss is a common side effect.