Helps you focus and stay alert.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) is a first-choice treatment for ADHD and you only have to take it once a day. However, it's only available as brand name drug, so it can be expensive.
- First-choice medication to treat ADHD.
- Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) is used in combination with counseling or other non-drug therapies to treat ADHD.
- Usually dosed once a day, so parents don't need to send the medication with their children to school.
- The capsule can be taken whole, or opened into a glass of water or orange juice, or swallowed in a spoonful of yogurt.
- Has to be taken in the morning, otherwise it can cause insomnia later that night.
- Not available as a generic medication, so it can be expensive.
- It's a controlled medication and should be locked up to prevent potential abuse.
- Not safe for people with a history of heart problems.
Save on your next Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 30mg capsule
- Cost for (30) 30mg capsules of Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$296.67New price:$284.80Save:4%
- $339.46New price:$288.54Save:15%
- Rite-Aid$331.43New price:$291.66Save:12%
Side effects for Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine)
From clinical trials of Vyvanse / ADHD ( 420)
- Sleep difficultySleep difficulty27% for Vyvanse vs.8% for placebo
- Decreased appetiteDecreased appetite27% for Vyvanse vs.2% for placebo
- Dry mouthDry mouth26% for Vyvanse vs.3% for placebo
- NauseaNausea7% for Vyvanse vs.0% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea7% for Vyvanse vs.0% for placebo
- AnxietyAnxiety6% for Vyvanse vs.0% for placebo
- Any side effectAny side effect6% for Vyvanse vs.2% for placebo
- Loss of appetiteLoss of appetite5% for Vyvanse vs.0% for placebo
- Feeling jitteryFeeling jittery4% for Vyvanse vs.0% for placebo
- RestlessnessRestlessness3% for Vyvanse vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) for Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Take Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) early in the morning to prevent insomnia later that night.
- Avoid driving the first few days that you take Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) until you know how your body reacts to it.
- Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.
- Store it in a locked area to prevent abuse.
- It can cause changes in your mood.
- Can raise your blood pressure and pulse, so it's not safe for people with heart problems.
Risks and Warnings for Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) 14 days before starting
Taking Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) when you've recently stopped taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors within the last two weeks can cause your blood pressure to rise very high. Go to the emergency room or talk to your doctor immediately if you feel dizzy or faint or have a very bad headache.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Don't take it with alcohol or drugs.
- I can't eat. At all during the day. If I forget to eat in the morning before taking it, which I frequently do, I end up in a lot of pain from hunger and I am unable to eat. I end up gagging on my food when I try.Age: 20Gender: WomanDuration taken: A few months
- I never believed people who said they "forget to eat" until I started Vyvanse. You get wrapped up in other things and don't feel hungry! Do remember to eat though. Headaches and irritability might mean you need food. Obvious but true.Age: 22Gender: WomanTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: A year or so
- Only take in the morning with food, otherwise it can make you feel jittery. With food, the effects are less intense and last longer.Age: 28Gender: ManTaken for: ADHD
- Have to take it early to avoid losing sleepGender: ManTaken for: ADHDDuration taken: Two years or more
- Make sure to take it right in the morning so you can sleep at night!Age: 16Gender: WomanTaken for: ADHD
- Decreased focus, no deep sleep, trouble waking. Normal side effects of Migraines, dry mouth, and decreased appetite.Age: 24Gender: ManTaken for: ADHD
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Appetite suppression may occur. In clinical studies, long-term treatment with stimulants similar to Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) caused a temporary slowing of growth rate (both height and weight) in children ages six to twelve years. Doctors should monitor children's growth during treatment.
- My 8 year old son is on this for ADHD and he's lost a lot of weight, I'm so upset but it works great for focus.Age: 46Gender: WomanTaken for: ADHD