Prevents blood clots.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) is a good medication for preventing blood clots. It doesn't require regular blood tests or changing doses often. It can be expensive and there's no way to reverse the medication's effects.
- Studies have shown that Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) works just as well as other blood thinners (anticoagulants) in preventing strokes and reducing bleeding.
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) doesn't require regular blood testing or frequent dose adjustments.
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) doesn't have as many food interactions as compared to other anticoagulants like warfarin (Coumadin).
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) can increase your risk of bleeding. Call your doctor right away if there is blood in your phlegm, urine, or stool (look for black, tarry stools).
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) isn't available as a generic medication.
- There are no antidotes to stop bleeding caused by taking too much Xarelto (Rivaroxaban).
- Can't take during pregnancy.
Save on your next Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) prescription
Be sure you’re getting the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 20mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 20mg tablets of Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$2448.33New price:$2081.08Save15%
- $2894.08New price:$2517.85Save13%
- Sams Club
- $2519.27New price:$2141.38Save15%
- Kmart$1575.67New price:$1197.51Save24%
Side effects for Xarelto (Rivaroxaban)
From clinical trials of Xarelto / Prevention of blood clot ( 7111)
- Major bleedMajor bleed6% for Xarelto vs.0% for placebo
- BleedingBleeding4% for Xarelto vs.0% for placebo
- Gi bleedGi bleed3% for Xarelto vs.0% for placebo
What to expect when you take Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) for AnticoagulantSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) is an anticoagulant, so it's important not to miss a dose. Don't stop taking this medication without talking to your doctor first.
- When taking Xarelto (Rivaroxaban), you can bleed more easily, so use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor to avoid cutting yourself.
- Take Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) with food and a full glass of water.
- You can crush the tablets and mix with applesauce.
Risks and Warnings for Xarelto (Rivaroxaban)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Stopping Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) too soon
- › Artificial heart valve
Don't stop taking Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) until your doctor tells you to, since stopping too early can put you at greater risk for getting blood clots or stroke, especially if you're not being switched to another blood thinner to continue treatment. Talk to your doctor first if you want to stop this medication. Also, Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) isn't right for you if you have an artificial heart valve because it can increase your risk of blood clots or stroke.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Xarelto (Rivaroxaban)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Upsides and downsides from our pharmacists
- › Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) doesn't have as many food interactions as compared to other anticoagulants like warfarin (Coumadin).
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › Take Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) with food and a full glass of water.
- Take with food. My skin started itching like crazy all over for the first week. That eventually subsided but skin is very dry all the time now. Have to coat entire body with shae butter day and night to treat the dry skin.Age: 47Gender: ManTaken for: ThrombosisDuration taken: A month or so
- Taking it with food may make it easier on your stomach. Tendency to bruise lessens with time.Age: 68Gender: WomanTaken for: Atrial flutterDuration taken: Two years or more
- Take with food. Experienced greater hair loss.Age: 60Gender: WomanTaken for: DVT (blood clot) treatment and prevention
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) is processed by the kidney and liver. If you have kidney or liver problems, talk to your doctor about possibly switching to a different medicine to prevent increased risk for side effects.
- It seems have unintentional weight lossAge: 81Gender: Man