Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Zantac 75 (Ranitidine) works well for heartburn but may not last as long or start working as quickly as other antacids.
- Most people can take Ranitidine without any noticeable day-to-day side effects.
- Ranitidine lasts longer than many other antacids like Maalox and Tums, and you only need to take it once or twice a day.
- You can take it in combination with a quick-acting antacid (like Maalox or Tums) if you need relief right away.
- Available as both a generic and over-the-counter option, so it's pretty affordable.
- Few drug interactions.
- Other antacids like Maalox, Tums, or Rolaids often start to work more quickly than Ranitidine.
- Medication like omeprazole (proton pump inhibitors) works better at healing and preventing stomach ulcers than medication like Ranitidine (H2 blockers).
Save on your next Zantac 75 (Ranitidine) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 150mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 150mg tablets of Zantac 75 (Ranitidine) at pharmacies
- Kroger Pharmacy$18.54New price:$8.53Save:54%
- $32.47New price:$12.34Save:62%
- $26.13New price:$13.85Save:47%
- Kmart$111.50New price:$15.61Save:86%
Side effects for Zantac 75 (Ranitidine)
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Abnormal involuntary movements
- Abnormally large breasts in males
- Acute interstitial nephritisgalactorrhoeaerectile dysfunction
- Aplastic anaemia
- Blood vessel inflammation
- Dermatitis contact
- Hair loss or baldness
- Heart-related chest pain
- Hepatic failure
- Jaundice cholestatic
- Kidney inflammation
- Kidney inflammation
- Liver disorder
- Loss of libido
- Low red blood cell count
- Low red blood cells
- Low white blood cells
- Lung infection
- Movement disorder
- Movements involuntary
- Muscle twitching
- Sensitivity to light
What to expect when you take Zantac 75 (Ranitidine) for Reduces stomach acidSkip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- Works best if you take it with a full glass of water.
- Starts working in one hour.
- If heartburn doesn't improve or lasts more than 2 weeks, talk to your doctor.
- People with kidney disease may need to take a lower dose.
Risks and Warnings for Zantac 75 (Ranitidine)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Heartburn and feelings of upset stomach can be warning signs of a more serious stomach problem or cancer. If you need to take Zantac 75 (Ranitidine) for 2 weeks or more go see a doctor. It's safest to get checked out to make sure you do not have a serious stomach condition.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Zantac 75 (Ranitidine)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › People with kidney disease may need to take a lower dose.
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › Zantac 75 (Ranitidine) is processed by the kidney and liver. If you have kidney or liver problems, you may need a different dose to prevent this increased risk for side effects.