Works with other medicines to treat HIV infection.
Our bottom line
If you don't have an allergic reaction to the drug and have good liver function, then this drug is a decent option within within the Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor (NRTI) drug class.
- Can take one tablet twice a day, or two tablets once a day.
- abacavir is in a number of other combination meds, so you may be able to find a single drug that has abacavir and other HIV medicines you are taking in a single product.
- Can be used for kids 3 months and older.
- This is not a great medication to take if you have liver problems.
- Severe allergic reactions to abacavir are possible. Genetic testing may help identify if you are likely to react poorly to abacavir.
- Once someone has an allergic reaction to abacavir, they can't take any other medications containing abacavir in the future.
Save on your next Ziagen (Abacavir) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (60) 300mg tablet
- Cost for (60) 300mg tablets of Ziagen (Abacavir) at pharmacies
- $593.74New price:$201.87Save:66%
- Rite-Aid$591.86New price:$248.58Save:58%
- $527.28New price:$305.82Save:42%
What to expect when you take Ziagen (Abacavir)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- To best deal with stomach upset and other side effects, either take abacavir twice a day for lower effects throughout the day, or once a day at night to sleep through the bulk of effects.
- Work with your healthcare provider to get regular blood tests. The goal is to make sure the drug is working well and safely.
- If being used for kids, the dose of abacavir will continue to change as they grow, so keep in touch with their doctor.
Side effects for Ziagen (Abacavir)
Risks and Warnings for Ziagen (Abacavir)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
- Higher risk if:
- › Prior severe allergic reaction to abacavir
abacavir has been reported to cause hypersensitivity reactions (severe rash, trouble breathing) and angioedema (life-threatening condition with swelling with or without hives). Seek immediate medical attention.
This is a black box warning. The FDA requires this warning when there is a significant risk of serious or life-threatening effects that anyone taking the drug should consider.
Tips from pharmacists and people taking Ziagen (Abacavir)Final section. Do you want to return to drug navigation?
- Risks from our pharmacists
- › abacavir can cause this rare but life-threatening condition. Symptoms include deep and rapid breathing, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain. This is a medical emergency and you should get help right away. Baseline blood work for kidney and liver function are helpful to see if you can use abacavir. It may not be a good choice for people with liver problems.
- Tips from our pharmacists
- › To best deal with stomach upset and other side effects, either take abacavir twice a day for lower effects throughout the day, or once a day at night to sleep through the bulk of effects.