Helps you feel less queasy.
Our pharmacists’ bottom line
Zofran (Ondansetron) works well to prevent nausea and vomiting, and it's available in different forms that you don't have to swallow.
- Available in generic.
- Available in forms that you don't have to swallow (like a tablet or film that dissolves in your mouth) if you're having trouble keeping anything down.
- Starts working fast (in 30 minutes.
- Can cause headaches.
- Can interact with antidepressants.
- Can only be used to prevent nausea and vomiting, not to treat if it's already happening.
Save on your next Zofran (Ondansetron) prescription
Get the lowest price for your medication, even if you have insurance.
- (30) 4mg tablet
- Cost for (30) 4mg tablets of Zofran (Ondansetron) at pharmacies
- $101.77New price:$13.23Save:87%
- Kroger Pharmacy$40.38New price:$13.73Save:66%
- Kmart$801.33New price:$24.04Save:97%
- $123.32New price:$80.16Save:35%
Side effects for Zofran (Ondansetron)
From clinical trials of Zofran / Nausea/Vomiting from chemotherapy (0.45 mg/kg) ( 453)
- HeadacheHeadache17% for Zofran vs.15% for placebo
- DiarrheaDiarrhea16% for Zofran vs.18% for placebo
- ConstipationConstipation11% for Zofran vs.0% for placebo
- FeverFever8% for Zofran vs.3% for placebo
- Increased ast and altIncreased ast and alt5% for Zofran vs.0% for placebo
- RashRash1% for Zofran vs.0% for placebo
Manufacturers don’t say how common these side effects are
- Abnormally fast heart beat
- Electrocardiographic alterations
- Extrapyramidal reactions
- Grand mal seizure
- Heart-related chest pain
- Low blood potassium
- Low blood pressure
What to expect when you take Zofran (Ondansetron)Skip what to expect section. Skip to Risks & Warnings section.
- If you're using the disintegrating tablet, make sure your hands are dry first, peel off the foil and remove the tablet. Place the tablet on the tongue to let it dissolve naturally, then swallow. Don't drink water or anything else.
- Can cause headache, fatigue or constipation.
- If you're taking the oral film, don't chew or swallow it. Let it dissolve naturally on the tongue.
- It takes 30 minutes for Zofran to start working.
Risks and Warnings for Zofran (Ondansetron)Skip Risks and Warnings section. Skip to Tips section.
Serotonin syndrome is a rare but potentially life-threatening condition caused when there's too much serotonin active in the brain. Your risk goes up if you use Zofran (Ondansetron) with other medications that affect serotonin (other antidepressants, lithium, medications for migraine headaches, and St. John's wort). Symptoms include fast heart rate, sweating, muscle stiffness or spasms, fever, and confusion. Go to the hospital right away if you have symptoms.